Author Topic: Holy papercuts, Batman!  (Read 751 times)

Offline taohansen

• AVLinux User
Holy papercuts, Batman!
« on: May 21, 2019, 05:22:26 PM »
Hi,

With a looming deadline delivering a short film trailer, I put aside the day to installing and configuring AV Linux. This is going to be a review chockful of criticism. I'll preface by saying that it comes from a heart of help and gratitude for giving me an environment to edit film.

The two biggest issues that don't have anything to do with the distro are an insecure connection to the site and forum software from before people started reading everything on their phones. A security cert can be gotten :rainbows: FREE :rainbows: from a provider like Let's Encrypt. It's time, my dude.

Right away booting into the live media my laptop's keyboard is num-locked. This happened on two separate live boots and on the third boot into the installed environment. No trail should be blazed when it comes to num-locking by default.

KDE, Windows, and GNOME all use the Windows (Super) key as an easy shortcut to open the application menu or overview. This is an easy do and I highly recommend it by default. [1]

Realtime kernel, great! Except in our breakneck present it is ancient. My Librem 13v2's touchpad and wireless card are unsupported so I switch to the Liquorix kernel. The Liquorix kernel apparently sees no need to support my Elantech touchpad as anything but a PS/2 pointing device so I configure stretch-backports to install Debian's most recent kernel. Let's also bring in a more modern wifi stack while we're at it:

Code: [Select]
# mkdir /etc/apt/sources.list.d
# echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main nonfree contrib" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/$ backports.list
# apt -t stretch-backports linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 firmware-iwlwifi
# systemctl reboot

We'd have a functioning touchpad if it wasn't for a wonky libinput config. Let's fix this.
# rm /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
# mkdir -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
# echo 'Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver "libinput"
    Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection' > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf
# systemctl restart slim

The default Debian mirror is set to Canadian. Dude.

Debian's default mirror (deb.debian.org) is a CDN that points you to a repo close to you:
This service is based on a CDN network provided by Fastly and CloudFront

Let's configure sudo because switching is painful and nobody else separates like this. Users deserve a unified experience.
# adduser $USER sudo
# systemctl restart slim

Compositing is an absolute mess with transparencies running wild and a jelly-effect when scrolling in Firefox.

We'll fix this too:
Window Manager Tweaks > Enable display compositing to unchecked
Firefox > Preferences > search for "scroll" > Use smooth scrolling to unchecked

I think it's time to let Systemback die a merciful death. There are far superior solutions out there [2] which are purpose-built for installing distros.

[1] https://codeyarns.com/2015/11/03/how-to-open-whisker-menu-with-win-key/
[2] https://calamares.io/about/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:29:32 PM by taohansen »

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
Re: Holy papercuts, Batman!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 05:36:40 PM »
Hi there,

Please read the AvLinux 2019 manual, there's a section about kernels. Avlinux uses the RT kernelfor default, but optionally you can install the lowlatency kernel, which is best suited for video editing and other video related tasks. That kernel has support for the commercial video card drivers that you may need in theory. I like system back, I think it's really easy to use, and it's really well explained in the Manual. But if you know any other open source/free solutions, doesn't hurt to try.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers,

Rodney

Offline taohansen

• AVLinux User
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:45:15 PM »
I read the manual and these kernels do not support relatively modern hardware like my laptop's. I don't think it's a safe bet that a user's hardware is going to be older.

I put a link at the bottom of my post pointing out Calamares as the standard for Linux installers.

Offline taohansen

• AVLinux User
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 05:52:49 PM »
I forgot a huge part of my day today, which was deciphering why I couldn't get AV Linux booting on my TianoCore UEFI-only BIOS. Unetbootin didn't work because, well, it's a collection of hacks (the Debian developers agree with me [1]) and dd didn't work because the image it writes has an MBR partition scheme.

For those with UEFI BIOSes there is a guaranteed and very easy way of booting any UEFI-supporting ISO.

Simply:
cp isotester* /dev/sdx
parted /dev/sdX set 1 boot on

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=775689
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:54:59 PM by taohansen »

Offline taohansen

• AVLinux User
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 06:18:37 PM »
These kernel flags will restore performance for those desiring to squeeze out every last drop from their rigs: https://make-linux-fast-again.com/

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, AV Linux being based on Debian Stable kind of negates it as being a great choice for brand new hardware but as you've noted the Liquorix option can be helpful to close the gap a bit. I will consider some of the other suggestions for future releases.

Offline taohansen

• AVLinux User
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
Hi I don't think I was clear in my first post, apologies: Liquorix *also* did not support my Elantech touchpad so I needed to install the most recent kernel from `stretch-backports` which I give an invocation for in the post.

Additionally, there's just way too much going on in `/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/`. You're going to see conflicts.
I've condensed everything down to `40-libinput.conf` and `rm`-ed the rest:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "Tapping" "on"
        Option "DisableWhileTyping" "True"
        Option "NaturalScrolling" "True"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Driver "libinput"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput touchscreen catchall"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        Driver "libinput"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput tablet catchall"
        MatchIsTablet "on"
        Driver "libinput"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        Driver "libinput"
EndSection

There must be some additional conflict I'm unable to find because I need this script under Session and Startup - Application Autostart to get my touchpad detected as a touchpad:
#!/bin/bash

sudo modprobe -r psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouse

Additional complexity can be found in the Ubuntuzilla repo which you've included. I started getting 403 errors to that repo when `apt update`-ing almost right away. There's a simpler and more elegant way of sourcing the latest Firefox:

# apt install -t unstable firefox
Boom, done. No need to rely on sketchy third-parties hosting their stuff on Sourceforge.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:32:27 AM by taohansen »

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
Hi,

Perhaps commenting out /etc/modprobe.d/touchpad.conf will do what you need for the touchpad at startup issue?

Offline taohansen

• AVLinux User
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
I did try this! But it still requires the mitigation script. I'm going to ask /r/debian and see if they might know what's up.

Offline taohansen

• AVLinux User
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »
The solution was to

sudo echo psmouse | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
sudo reboot

Offline taohansen

• AVLinux User
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »
My laptop never locked when the lid was closed or due to inactivity. Security begs we fix this. Thanks to the gracious redditor who wrote the following:

How to setup XScreenSaver to lock on suspend for laptops (XUbuntu 18.04)

How to fix the suspend on inactivity authentication bug for Xubuntu 18.04
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:04:44 PM by taohansen »

Offline taohansen

• AVLinux User
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 04:34:42 PM »
My laptop never locked when the lid was closed or due to inactivity. Security begs we fix this. Thanks to the gracious redditor who wrote the following:

How to setup XScreenSaver to lock on suspend for laptops (XUbuntu 18.04)

How to fix the suspend on inactivity authentication bug for Xubuntu 18.04

A few more days testing and I've observed the directions given in the latter link for suspending on inactivity don't work. What did work was to first install my favorite screenlocker, then run xautolock which watches for a set time of inactivity before launching the screenlocker:

sudo apt install slock
nohup xautolock -time 15 -locker slock -corners -000 &

One may easily run xautolock as an autostarted application.