Author Topic: Carla VST option not available  (Read 343 times)

Offline Geoff_Aussie

• AVLinux User
Carla VST option not available
« on: May 08, 2019, 03:46:47 PM »
Hi

I am a very recent convert from KXStudio and so far I am VERY happy with AVLinux, especially the detailed User Manual and support.  Thanks for providing such a great distro!  We sure live in a great time for musicians.  There was no internet (or computers) when I was a budding young guitar player back in the 70's.  I am still a budding guitar player by the way!   ;)

My first question relates to Carla which I was using on KXStudio.   In the  Add Plugin >> Refresh screen there are options to check for new VST2's, VST3's but no ordinary VST's.  Similarly in Configure Carla >> Paths there is no option for a path for VST's.

I have done my obligatory web and and forum searches but I haven't found anyone else with this issue.

Specifically I am wanting to use Guitar Rig as I did with Carla in KXStudio.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  With thanks.  Geoff

Offline Geoff_Aussie

• AVLinux User
Re: Carla VST option not available
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 10:55:39 PM »
Hello again.  While I am still interested in knowing the answer to the above question I have worked around it by converting the Guitar Rig .dll to a .so file using linvstconvert.  Carla picked up the .so file no problem and Guitar Rig 5 is now up and running.  Thanks

Offline korakios

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »
Had the same issue in the past . It seems Carla doesn’t support by default windows VSTs . Go to
settings->experimental -> wine bridge and enable it :)

https://github.com/falkTX/Carla/issues/591

I just checked the manual and it may needs update
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:45:26 PM by korakios »

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 02:24:32 PM »
Hi,

Here too late, korakios is correct about the fix, this is documented in the 2019 User Manual on page 94:

*PLEASE NOTE! – For Windows VST Plugins and other Plugin Bridges to work with Carla it is now
necessary to enable that feature in the new ‘Experimental’ tab found in ‘Settings’ → ’Configure Carla’.

Offline Geoff_Aussie

• AVLinux User
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 10:54:08 PM »
Thanks for your responses.  I did have plugin bridges and Wine bridges enabled in the Experimental Settings which made it all the more puzzling that it wasn't picked up.  I actually reinstalled AVLinux (for another reason) and still the Guitar Rig 5.dll was not picked up until I converted it to an .so file.

Thanks again