Author Topic: AV Linux 2019 Update  (Read 1416 times)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
AV Linux 2019 Update
« on: January 28, 2019, 01:05:16 PM »
Hi AVL people,

First of all a belated happy 2019 to everyone!

To be honest I have had almost no time for AV Linux for the past several months and my lack of presence on the forum here I'm sure has been noticed. My personal and professional life has changed a lot over the past 18 months and much more of my time and effort is required offline away from AV Linux which is a spare time pursuit, that small slice of spare time is also occupied with playing in 3 working bands and doing occasional paid work in my small studio... The obvious question becomes "will AV Linux continue!?" and the answer is yes but at a much reduced rate for the time being.

Here are some important issues to be aware of:

THE FORUM:

I have very little time for the forum these days, if the forum is to continue I will need other members to answer posts when they can, I see that we have some people here who are doing their best to help new users and I really appreciate that... This is all volunteer labour here so it's very important for new users to understand that your post may get answered quickly, may not get answered for a few days, or may not get answered at all. This is the downside of spare time volunteer-run projects, you can not expect the same level of service as a paid helpdesk.

KX STUDIO REPOSITORIES:

falkTX the incredible mind behind KXStudio and it's related applications and repositories is on hiatus, this means that the KXStudio repositories within AV Linux that provide many of the great multimedia apps we enjoy will see few or perhaps no updates while he is taking a much needed break. Whenever he resumes his efforts we will once again see KXStudio updates.

UPDATING REPOSITORY KEYS:

Over the last few years websites and repositories have needed to employ much higher levels of security and require SSL certificates and GPG keys to be renewed much more often. When a key expires you will be notified in Synaptic Package Manager with error messages that the package lists could not be downloaded and old indexes are being used. It is now necessary for the user to occasionally update the expired keys themselves. Here is an example from a key that has recently expired from WineHQ (the repository that provides us with 'wine-staging' packages):

To update the key you need to retrieve it from winehq.org, do this in a regular terminal like this:
Code: [Select]
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
Once the key is successfully retrieved you need to register it so make yourself Root in the open terminal by typing 'su' and entering your Root password, then register the key like this:
apt-key add winehq.key
**ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR KEYS ARE COMING FROM A TRUSTED SOURCE LIKE THE WEBSITE OF THE APPLICATION!!

CINELERRA-GG HAS MOVED:

The fork of Cinelerra that is used in AV Linux has moved to a vastly improved new website: https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/
The repositories for Cinelerra-GG have changed with the move: https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/debian-package/

A quick and easy way to fix this is to open /etc/apt/sources.list directly in Mousepad from a Root terminal like this:
mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list
Then edit and change the Cinelerra Repository line to this, and save your changes in Mousepad:
deb [trusted=yes] https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/pkgs/debian9 stretch main

WHAT'S NEXT!??:

I respectfully ask people to be patient and as soon as time allows I will be creating a fresh AV Linux ISO that will fix the following issues:

- Fix removal of Virtualbox Additions so that Automatic mounting of external partitions remains executable
- Clean up some unneeded deep system files and broken links
- Update and change any repository keys that have expired and possibly modify the "Quick Update" tool to do this more easily.
- Update core applications as necessary and available.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:47:32 AM by GMaq »

Offline rockharper

• AVLinux User
Re: AV Linux 2019 Update
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 04:37:23 AM »
Thanks a lot for your work... I'm an italian musician and informatics and I can understand you  :D
Anyway I really appreciate your project and as i'm a big fan of Linux I will start to use AV Linux.
I hope i will be able to contribute at this forum with my experiences and knowledge

bye
ilio

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 05:21:10 PM »
Big thanks as always Glenn, I don't know what would be of me without Avlinux. Can't wait for 2019's version.

Cheers,

Rodney

Offline gennargiu

• AVLinux User
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »
hello Glenn and always thank you for every second of your time that you dedicate to the avlinux project. the musical community under the penguin is enriched every day with new users that embrace the various linux gnu communities spread all over the world. :cool:

gennaro

Offline dscr

• AVLinux User
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 05:03:50 AM »
thanks!! & rock on  ...