Author Topic: "One Man Band v. 3.0" - play synth guitar in AVLinux  (Read 82 times)

Offline forestandgarden

• AVLinux User
"One Man Band v. 3.0" - play synth guitar in AVLinux
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:09:02 PM »
Hi,

this is something for guitarists and effect tinkers to amuse themselves with: One Man Band v. 3.0 . It's supposed to work out of the box on AVLinux, basically you get a plugin patch to load into the Carla plugin host, and that patch should allow you to do rather freaky things with a guitar only.
Just download the tarball, extract it to any decent place, enter the folder, listen to demo.mp3, read README.txt and follow the instructions. Launching might take a little time, since the launch script searches the One Man Band folder first, the next surprise will be a root password prompt, this is to bind-mount a different config for hydrogen onto the default one.
Once you found your way around in this effects setup, there is ample opportunity for changing it: a longer drum loop with more variations, different synth sounds and arpeggiator patterns, subtle changes in the mix between the 5 voices this will turn the guitar into.

Hopefully this is the start for a new sport: exchanging FX patches, session templates and such. At least, here we are dealing only with one linux audio distribution and can count on relatively identical environments, where otherwise, the various pieces of software turn out to be more portable than the creative project files we're making with them.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
Re: "One Man Band v. 3.0" - play synth guitar in AVLinux
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:34:54 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this! I'll look forward to giving it a try!

Offline forestandgarden

• AVLinux User
Re: "One Man Band v. 3.0" - play synth guitar in AVLinux
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:16:52 AM »
My trick of giving hydrogen a custom config per bind-mount may or may not work - the relevant config, in any case, is that a) simple2.h2song is loaded and b) in the audio tab of the preferences, one output pair per instrument' is checked in addition to the mix. I have only allowed hydrogen 4 audio outs Carla side, and the result should be that the drum mix is on audio 1 & 2, and the instrument called 'gate', which consist of a hihat looped to 1 beat length and only serves to trigger a gate, on 3 & 4.
I'd have loved to set up this 1 beat time window gate as a 100% MIDI solution, but had to give up. Oh yes, other hydrogen config is that it is in song-, not pattern mode, and both loop and jack transport are on.
Hydrogen has the -P switch to specify a custom 'data' path, but alas, it only substitutes /usr/share/hydrogen/data , from where hydrogen loads default config, but this is still getting overriden by any settings in ~/.hydrogen/hydrogen.conf , maybe worth a comment to upstream.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:21:57 AM by forestandgarden »