Author Topic: Issue with Ardour and XFCE: plugin windows don't hide  (Read 62 times)

Offline cyan

• AVLinux User
Issue with Ardour and XFCE: plugin windows don't hide
« on: June 14, 2018, 01:09:14 AM »
I've started using AV Linux and Ardour just recently, and I'm having this issue with most window managers: When I open a plugin window in Ardour, I can't use alt+tab or anything like that to position it *behind* the Ardour window. I can still close the plugin window completely, but that's not a great workflow if you switch a lot between the main window and the plugin window.

What I tried:

I tried enabling the "treat modal windows as dialog windows" (or something like that) option and used two other window managers, Openbox and i3. Openbox behaved the same, whereas I was able to get the plugin window out of the way with i3's tabbed mode - that works fine, but it's not available in fullscreen, which means that I have to sacrifice the vertical space needed for window titles.

Question:
Is this intended behavior, and if not, is there anything I can do?

Offline korakios

Re: Issue with Ardour and XFCE: plugin windows don't hide
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:57:54 AM »
Did you try the custom build of AVLinux or the version from KXStudio repository?
It’s a known issue on KDE Plasma , didn’t know for xfce.
Unfortunately I mainly use Reaper or go modular through Cadence and use Ardour as a recorder only .

Offline cyan

• AVLinux User
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 12:09:49 PM »
Did you try the custom build of AVLinux or the version from KXStudio repository?

I used the one that was preinstalled in AVLinux' 32bit iso. By the way, is there some intrinsic reason it's only available on 32bit, or is it just that AVL 64bit has other, presumably much better options for this in linvstconvert and Carla?

Offline korakios

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
Since you used the 32bit ISO you can't run 64bit apps .
 Maybe you could try the KXStudio version? I don't know if they can co-exists and keep in mind if the AVLinux18 version is removed then you have to launch the live cd to restore it. (unless I am wrong!)