Author Topic: Money where my mouth is  (Read 1022 times)

Offline fretski

• AVLinux User
Money where my mouth is
« on: April 25, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »

It pleases me to make a donation because whether a freeloading or paying customer I do have stake in the future of AV-Linux. As donations go, or should go, it is unconditional. However I would like to invite the author(s) to establish a weighted features wishlist along the lines of

- in percentages how would you allocate your (single or yearly) donation to total 100%
- keep a list of wished features with the highest attributed $ amount with each

So let's assume I donate $10/yr on a UFN basis, and on my list I cite an existing App-X to which I assign 60%/yr for it's bulletproof maintenance and periodic upgrade,  and a Rolling-Release suggestion to which I attribute the other 40%/yr.  IF my attributed contributions are in fact the leaders for these two items then on the suggested list of maybe a thousand items would appear in value sorted order

- App-X, the bulletproof maintenance & periodic upgrade of,  $6/yr
- Rolling-Release or seamless migration utility  $4/yr

I just had this idea so details will need to be polished but I think the basis is clear enough.

If DIY were a religion   ...hmm, I just made it one!

Offline fretski

• AVLinux User
Re: Money where my mouth is
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 07:42:49 AM »
Done...

There are a large number of positives from my perspective in AvLinux-2018, too many to detail really but one casts a giant shadow on them all and I will just explain IT for now.  I'm retired and one of the few pleasures in my life next to learning to play guitar is flying the google-earth flt-sim. It has to be v-5.2 because subsequent versions rely on LSB which in turn has no stick support (brain death being a rampant epidemic).  Unfortunately, installing 5.2 has been problematic since day one because of a bad script and also because even that script can execute on fewer and fewer update distros.  All of this has gotten me to an end of the road sorta, like I needed another one.  The last distro I managed to install it on was Suse-13.2, in all other cases tried (Suse Leap, Tumbleweed, Debian-9.1, Slackware 14.2, Mageia-x) it became an exercise in futility. Were I a developer I'd probably fix it but I'm not.  Suse-13.2 is past end of life and as such is gradually falling apart. I just installed AVL-2018 and after observing that all the other strictly AV apps that "I" want and am committed to work OUT-OF-THE-BOX it also became my pleasure to execute the said workaround install in a matter of seconds. Somewhere along the line GE might block contact by v-5.2,  but until then I will be a very happy AvLinux customer.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:10:09 AM »
Hi,

Thanks very much for your support!

As far as the applications scenario it certainly does make some sense but probably more at the repository and package maintainers level, In the previous AV Linux versions 2-6 I maintained well over 50 specific custom packages and it just about sunk the project because of the time involved (AVL is completely a spare time pursuit in addition to a full time business and part-time work as a musician). Since AV Linux 2016 most of the packaging is left to Debian and the KXStudio repositories with a small amount of custom scripts and convenience packages and utilities.

As it is now I try to concentrate on more 'holistic' things like matching versions of things that work together, adjusting configurations, providing a full development environment, including application binaries that aren't included in Debian or KX, making the Audio system as seamless as possible, documentation and of course working with Trulan who provides the AV Linux kernels.

That may sound very peripheral but as someone put it it is very much like 'herding cats' at times!

As for the second post are you saying the flight sim 5.2 doesn't work on AVL?

Offline fretski

• AVLinux User
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:55:50 PM »
Hi,

Thanks very much for your support!

As far as the applications scenario it certainly does make some sense but probably more at the repository and package maintainers level, In the previous AV Linux versions 2-6 I maintained well over 50 specific custom packages and it just about sunk the project because of the time involved (AVL is completely a spare time pursuit in addition to a full time business and part-time work as a musician). Since AV Linux 2016 most of the packaging is left to Debian and the KXStudio repositories with a small amount of custom scripts and convenience packages and utilities.

As it is now I try to concentrate on more 'holistic' things like matching versions of things that work together, adjusting configurations, providing a full development environment, including application binaries that aren't included in Debian or KX, making the Audio system as seamless as possible, documentation and of course working with Trulan who provides the AV Linux kernels.

That may sound very peripheral but as someone put it it is very much like 'herding cats' at times!

I wasn't aware of any of that.  Maybe it could then be done at Debian level. 

As for the second post are you saying the flight sim 5.2 doesn't work on AVL?

No, I'm saying that it installs without any UNDUE problems which from my perspective is already a huge plus. The last best version that had integral stick support was 5.2 but google fubarred the package so that installing it ALWAYS required some footwork.

http://trixtar.org/temp-pub-buffer/googleearth-5.2-linux-install.png

The problem snowballed as even that footwork installation began to fall apart on the newer distro releases for reasons of 'progress'.  The last distro that I had it working on was/is Suse-13.2 and that one is already past end of life.  Without this package I give up computing altogether.  All this could have been prevented if the 'fine' LSB devs had included stick support because in that case the newer versions of GE would work just fine with Linux and a stick.

So long as I can install it on AvLinux I might even make subscription type of donation in 2019 :-)

Keep on truckin'  :cool: