Author Topic: AV Linux 2018.4.12 Released!  (Read 1924 times)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
AV Linux 2018.4.12 Released!
« on: April 10, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »
AV Linux 2018.4.12 has been Released!!

*BUGFIXES

-Updated 4.9.76 RT Kernel with KPTI 'Meltdown' security patch (64bit AVL Only) - Thanks Trulan Martin!
*KPTI can be disabled at boot, see Manual page 76, Be aware no 32bit KPTI patch exists!
-Numerous important fixes to compatibility with KXStudio Repos - Thanks falkTX!
-Updated and fixed outdated Cin 5.1 and Spotify Repositories.
-WineASIO now works properly.
-Removed Grub-Customizer because it doesn't work on UEFI installs.

*NEW ADDITIONS

-ISO files now have accompanying MD5 and SHA256 files, verify your downloads! (Manual page 5)
-Optional 'lowlatency' Kernels (Required for Proprietary Video Drivers) - Thanks Trulan Martin!
-Optional 'SGFXI' Proprietary Video Driver Install (Requires 'lowlatency' Kernel).
-UEFI install (64bit AVL only) *So far only tested in VBox! - Thanks korakios and arjepsen!
-Wine-Staging replaces Debian's Wine packaging and WineHQ Repos have been added.
-Added firmware for Echo Audio devices
-Dynamic CPU Frequency adjustment (in 'Settings' menu) - Thanks korakios!
-Realtime Quick Config scan to check system tuning - Thanks raboof!
-Standalone AV Linux DD LiveUSB Writer to create ISOHybrid LiveUSB keys - Thanks Tony Brijeski!
-Simple Killswitch Utility to shut down unwanted processes.
-Kdenlive is back on the menu!
-Yoshimi comes back! - Thanks Will Godfrey!
-Xhip Synth and Plugins http://xhip.net/ - Thanks acidose!
-LinVST (64bit AVL only) - Thanks osxmidi!
-SFZero SFZ Instrument Plugin - Thanks osxmidi!
-Noise Repellent Noise Reduction Plugin - Thanks lucianodato!
-Added new Shuriken Beat Slicer Repositories - Thanks rockhopper!
-Added Dragonfly Reverb plugins - Thanks Michael Willis, rghvdberg!
-Cool Retro Terminal... it's just for fun!

*NOTEWORTHY UPDATES

-AVL User Manual is now 130 pages with numerous additions, expanded content and clarifications.
-Official bundled builds of Ardour 5.12, ArdourVST 5.12 (32bit AVL only) - Thanks Paul Davis, Robin Gareus et al!
-Harrison Mixbus 4.3  and Plugin Demos- Thanks Ben Loftis, Robin Gareus!
-All Applications and Plugins from the KXStudio Repos are synced and updated - Thanks falkTX and all FOSS developers!
-AVL Drumkits LV2 0.2.3 - Thanks Robin Gareus!
-Cinelerra 'Cin 5.1' Video Editor (SO many improvements!!) - Thanks Goodguy, Phyllis!
-LSP Plugins 1.1.1 - Thanks sadko4u!
-Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.5.1 - Thanks rockhopper!
-Polyphone 1.8.
-Quick Updater Utility cleaned up.

*THANKS!

anahata, ByteMark, and Jeremy Jongepier at linuxaudio.org for Download facilities!
rockhopper, NUMAflex, drwhat - ISO Testing
jjfro, drwhat, ufug, magicalex and all other Manual Proofreaders!

*KNOWN ISSUES

-KPTI will introduce a performance hit, it's debatable how much it will impact Audio work but it does have an impact.
*KPTI can be disabled which will restore performance but leave your machine vulnerable to the 'Meltdown' exploit.
-Booting is slower on UEFI computers and getting to login takes longer.
-A recent update of Unetbootin no longer works to create bootable LiveUSB Keys of AV Linux 2018.
-AV Linux contains a new AV Linux DD LiveUSB Writer to write LiveUSB Keys with DD
-For those on other Deb-based Distros this is packaged here:
 http://www.bandshed.net/packages/avl2usb/avl2usb_0.1.1-avlinux8-1_all.deb
-Otherwise writing to USB Key with DD from commandline will also work.

*NOT SO FAST!!

If you're new to AV Linux or Linux Audio in general you NEED to RTFM!
http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2018UserManual.pdf

*OK, GET AV Linux 2018 HERE!:

http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

*PLEASE DONATE IF YOU CAN...

The documentation for AV Linux alone is a time investment of many hours not to mention curating an entire OS that is convenient
to use and ready for professional grade Audio and Video production at your fingertips. My sincere and heartfelt thanks to those
who have already donated and supported the project. It is my own choice to share my time and efforts on making AV Linux available but I think in the
bigger picture communities work best when when there is engagement by both sides. I would also ask that that people consider donating to
falkTX's KXStudio project which has greatly enriched not only AV Linux but also all Debian/Ubuntu derivatives..

Please consider hitting the yellow Paypal button on the AV Linux website, ANY amount is welcomed and appreciated thanks!

Glen MacArthur - AV Linux Maintainer
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:07:47 PM by GMaq »

Offline soppel

Re: AV Linux 2018.4.12 Released!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
Congrat's Glenn!

I'm not in a situation that I can download it, in the near future, but I wish everybody a lot of pleasure with it!

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:31:58 AM »
Yeesss!
         Thank you Glenn and all the people involved on creating and contributing to this amazing distro, soo very much! Even the Kernel is  :crying:exactly the one I voted for 😂. I am so excited.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

Att.: Rodney

Offline Be OK

• AVLinux and KXstudio Have devoted developers
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 03:26:23 AM »
 :D :D :smile: :smile: Great To all involved THANKS.
A PC is not always a WC !

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »
Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Offline OscarSouth

• AVLinux User
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 08:54:35 AM »
Have been working with AVLinux to build a live coding performance environment.  Fantastic work on this, it's by far my favourite Linux distro to use for any purpose.  AVLinux 2018 is working flawlessly and is brilliant in every respect.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 12:22:48 AM »
Have been working with AVLinux to build a live coding performance environment.  Fantastic work on this, it's by far my favourite Linux distro to use for any purpose.  AVLinux 2018 is working flawlessly and is brilliant in every respect.

Thanks for the encouraging comments  :)

I'm interested to hear that AVL is useful for that specific purpose, I saw a demonstration of live coding performance at LAC 2014 and it was very cool!

Offline gmaslin

• AVLinux User
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
I just did a fresh install of this version. Does the sticky thread on configuring audio still apply because my sound is broken and i forget how I configured jack. Currently watching youtube in Firefox with no sound :(

Offline hawran.diskuse

• Remastersys and AVLinux User
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 02:29:34 PM »
Thank you very much!
I really appreciate your devotion to this project.
(I wish I could help someday...)

I'll try it as soon as possible...

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 03:09:45 PM »
Congratulations indeed!

AVL2018 is even better than it's predecessor 👏, I am loving it! Just a little hint, there's no GRUB file on /etc/default, so just copy and paste the file from user/share/grub/default/grub 👍.

Thanks a lot Glenn, Trulan and all the Linux community and developers out there, you Rock!

Att.: Rodney

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 03:23:21 PM »
I just did a fresh install of this version. Does the sticky thread on configuring audio still apply because my sound is broken and i forget how I configured jack. Currently watching youtube in Firefox with no sound :(

Hi,

See Accessories User Manual page 86, Firefox now tries to grab the main Audio device instead of using JACK sink.  :rolleyes:

Offline OscarSouth

• AVLinux User
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »

Thanks for the encouraging comments  :)

I'm interested to hear that AVL is useful for that specific purpose, I saw a demonstration of live coding performance at LAC 2014 and it was very cool!

Performed a 3 hour Live Coding concert last night using AVLinux - rock solid, excellent system performance and not a stability issue in sight. Also a lot of open source software and dev versions involved (as well as having to install versions of all the Haskell bits and pieces from source, since the repository versions are massively outdated) and I didn't have any issues compiling everything (Haskell stuff is usually a nightmare to deal with).

Offline hawran.diskuse

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »
BTW, why there's not any mention over there:

http://www.bandshed.net/

?

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 10:45:38 AM »
BTW, why there's not any mention over there:

http://www.bandshed.net/

?

Hi, yeah I'm behind on my blog... Getting AVL2018 out the door took all my available time, will catch up this weekend.

Offline sam0th

• Nacht-Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 03:59:38 PM »
Thank you very much. Since long i tried locale de and it works! thank you for all your time spending on this, this is by far the best linux for audio and maybe video work. i donated a little, to say thank you!

Offline hawran.diskuse

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 12:03:22 PM »
Hi, yeah I'm behind on my blog... Getting AVL2018 out the door took all my available time, will catch up this weekend.

I understand, don't worry.
Once again: thank you for your effort!

Offline gumb

• AVLinux Newbie User
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
I have a question that's been asked plenty times before, and you may wish to direct me to the relevant chapter in the manual which I have indeed read. But I'm still not clear on this:

I'm currently running an earlier version of AVLinux (I think the original install from disc ISO was the 2016.8.30 version), but a few months ago I ran APT-dist-upgrade. I now want to update to this 2018.4.12 version. If I run the APT-Dist-Upgrade again, do I really end up effectively with the same system (aside from system files I've modified and obviously all my personal data) as if I did a fresh install from the ISO (and assuming after a fresh ISO install I also do an APT-Upgrade to account for the changes since the ISO was released)? What about the held files relating to Systemback and whatever else - should I unhold them all first or does the Dist-Upgrade handle that? The manual talks about it making changes to dependencies but I don't know if the held packages are a separate issue. Aside from accumulated cruft, are there any small differences in theory between a previous install + APT-Dist-Upgrade, and a fresh install?

By and large I have things set up fine on my current install and could do without the hassle of full backup and partial reconfiguration, but there are other things, like the problems with WINE apps not working discussed a few months ago, that I've not been competent enough to get into resolving as a standalone issue, and was hoping a fresh install would sort out. But maybe a Dist-Upgrade will resolve that too?

My memories of the original install I did with Systemback are hazy. Is it straightforward enough to only format and overwrite / without touching any of the other partitions, e.g. /home ? The examples in the manual assume a freshly partitioned disk, though the images suggest there is a Format tick box in Systemback. Do other people use this method with no issues?