Author Topic: HowTO: Fix Upgrade Problems in AV Linux 2017.4.9  (Read 884 times)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
HowTO: Fix Upgrade Problems in AV Linux 2017.4.9
« on: March 11, 2018, 03:25:16 PM »
Hi,

Reference: https://github.com/KXStudio/Repository/issues/157

Fixing the KX Studio Repos:

Unfortunately AV Linux 2017.4.9 was dogged with some repository package conflicts centering on pulseaudio and wine32 that made upgrades difficult. The latest 'kxstudio-repos' repository packages now fix this issue (thanks falkTX!). This fix was tested on a fresh install of AV Linux 2017.4.9 64bit in a Virtualbox VM.

There are a few steps to fixing this issue...

1. Open Synaptic Package Manager, Reload and upgrade to the latest 'kxstudio-repos' and 'kxstudio-repos-gcc5' packages (make sure you're installing version 9.4.10 or greater), leave Synaptic open for now...

2. Open a Root Terminal and run these 2 commands (*hint, you can just copy and paste them into the terminal):

Code: [Select]
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian*ubuntus-*.list
you should see a listing of 3 KXStudio Ubuntu Repositories lists:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian-ubuntu-ubuntus-wily.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian-ubuntu-ubuntus-xenial.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian-ubuntu-ubuntus-yakkety.list

These being added accidentally with previous 'kxstudio-repos' and 'kxstudio-repos-gcc5' packages are what have caused the upgrading issues because they conflict with Debian's packages.

Remove them with this command:

rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-debian*ubuntus-*.list
3. If you have left Synaptic open now once again hit the 'Reload' button... Once the package lists have reloaded you should now be able to cleanly upgrade the system, if you had a botched upgrade previously that removed the Debian wine32 packages you should be able to install them now...

Please test and confirm that this works...

ADDENDUM:

Updating the Spotify GPG Key:

While testing I noted that the Spotify repository key has expired and will print a warning, to update the Spotify repository key run these commands in a Root Terminal:

apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 0DF731E45CE24F27EEEB1450EFDC8610341D9410

then this:
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
On the next opening and Reload of Synaptic the Spotify repo warnings should disappear..

Updating the Cinelerra 5.1 Repos:

Lastly if you missed the announcement of the change of the Cinelerra 5.1 repos since the release of AV Linux 2017.4.9 this would be a good time to fix that as well:

For the 'Cin' (aka Cinelerra 5.1) version of Cinelerra in AV Linux there is an important change to the APT repository lines in /etc/apt/sources.list. The developers of Cin have added a repository for Debian Stretch (the base of AV Linux 2016/17), previously we were using the Debian Jessie builds.

So to update this in a Root Terminal open /etc/apt/source.list for editing with mousepad:

mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list
Now in the opened sources.list file scroll down and fix the Cinelerra 5 entry to look like this:

#CINELERRA 5
deb [trusted=yes] https://cinelerra-cv.org/five/pkgs/debian stretch main
# deb-src https://cinelerra-cv.org/five/pkgs/debian stretch main

Save the changes in Mousepad and then either Reload Synaptic or run 'apt-get update' in a Root Terminal to reflect the changes..
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:40:05 PM by GMaq »

Offline protozone

• AVLinux User
Nice bugfix
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »
Wow, I'm glad that issue finally got noticed. 

wily, xenial, yakkety, zesty, they are already old in Ubuntu years (kinda like dog years, different from solar years  :) )
here we are already after artful (the version numbers are the names alphabetically. W,X,Y,Z,A...etc )

I noticed I was having problems with KxStudio repos back when I was using xenial or yakkety and browsed the repo section to see wily. 
My approach was to try and manually edit the part that said "wily" and replace it with the codename of my current distro.  I'm not sure if it worked or not because I gave up. 

In a similar way, I gave up on Wine-RT and WineASIO because I think I read somewhere that they were already absorbed into code by Wine.  So the specific WineASIO and Wine-RT files might cause more damage than harm.  It's been such a long time, though, years actually.  I don't use either of those.  I know Jack Winter knows how to use them and could maybe teach too.  But when I tried them, they didn't work without tons of xruns on my system.  The Wine project has in recent months and years put more effort and support into the audio and video, so it's not as bad as it used to be.  I think Wine is continually stabilizing these days. 

But I'm glad if these bugs got quashed.  Peace.