Author Topic: Possibly adding Kodi to next release?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline gmaslin

• AVLinux User
Possibly adding Kodi to next release?
« on: September 07, 2017, 09:51:28 AM »
I'm a relatively new AVLinux user but I have to say, it has become my most used OS and I haven't even begun to get everything out of this distro. So far, it's been rock solid and the only thing I would suggest to improve it is adding the Kodi subsystem. Kodi by itself is mostly useless but it opens the door to vast media that can be captured for fair use in your own media productions. I'm sure there must be some AVLinux users that have installed it. They should share their experience here and if not, I will find a box to experiment with its installation and report my own experience.

Offline anchor

• AVLinux User
Re: Possibly adding Kodi to next release?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
I have same interest. Here is result of my investigation.

Kodi 17 make possible problems with these files:
libavcodec-dev
libavcodec57
libavcodec57:i386
libavfilter6
libavformat-dev
libavformat57
libavresample3
libavresample3:i386
libavutil-dev
libavutil55
libavutil55:i386
libpostproc54
libwresample-dev
libwresample2
libwresample2:i386
libwscale-dev
libwscale4

These files change with new Kodi installation, maybe older Kodi not a problem. Other files Kodi installs I think maybe safe. Anybody knows this?

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 06:36:05 PM »
Hi,

@gmaslin

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying AV Linux. Thanks for your suggestion but I would probably not add Kodi to the LiveISO for the following reasons:

1. As @anchor points out it wants ffmpeg substitutions... I don't know how this would affect the existing video editors etc. already included and I don't have time to test this.

2. Kodi is quite large and the AVL ISO images are already about 3.5Gb and 4Gb is as large as an ISO can be due to current limitations, if I only have 500Mb for extra room I want to provide Audio and Video creation software not media playing software.

3. Since most (not necessarily all) people who install AV Linux have an internet connection of some kind I think Kodi along with many other applications is best left to be installed by the users who want it.

Thanks!

Offline gmaslin

• AVLinux User
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 11:16:33 PM »
@Gmaq
Thanks for your attention. Kodi is large only with the huge preconfiguration libraries, the stripped version in Linux is about 230MB, 310MB in Windows 10. You can confirm this yourself with Synaptic. I understand the reluctance to mess with the codecs that the other applications depend upon but the benefit of being able to pull whatever clip you might need to help produce content is a HUGE benefit to video producers and in my opinion, a game changing improvement in the value of this already excellent distro. If you want a less ambitious change, rakarrak is at least as good as guitarix as a sound modeler. Was there a specific reason it wasn't included?

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:51:07 PM »
Hi,

Rakarrak has not been maintained for a few years now and no longer runs with current versions of Debian and was removed from the Debian package list and is also not maintained by KXStudio. Bear in mind AV Linux contains both Guitarix and a second set of Guitarix LV2 plugins from their GIT repository so there is a huge variety of potential sounds available.