Author Topic: No sound on Dell M4500 install?  (Read 3187 times)

Offline gmaslin

• AVLinux User
No sound on Dell M4500 install?
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:33:28 PM »
Did an apt-get update and then tried installing pulseaudio as a solution without change. Will someone help me troubleshoot this?

Offline jiff41

• AVLinux User (Getting there bit by bit!.)
Re: No sound on Dell M4500 install?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 02:39:34 AM »
Hi gmaslin
Did you see this http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=3937.0
It's all a bit of fiddling but good for learning as well! :)
I started out with nothing & I still have most of it left!. (Seasick Steve)

Offline gmaslin

• AVLinux User
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 04:47:09 PM »
@jiff41
Thanks, I discovered that the 2017.04.09 distro didn't have this issue before making the changes above on another machine. Both work great! I need to update Firefox, will this break my system? It's running so nice right now I'd hate to spoil it.

Offline jiff41

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:25:22 AM »
In bottom left>Applications>Accessories>Quick update, you can update Firefox there ? :)

Very handy!! ;)

Offline gmaslin

• AVLinux User
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »
@jiff41
Thanks, I really appreciate the support. There are some things that are still unclear to me. In the instructions you linked me to above, there is a reference to a connection map in the "Panel". I have assumed this to mean the Qjackctl connections panel but when I clicked on there, there were no connections visible. Was I looking at the wrong place? Do I need to be root to see these?

Offline jiff41

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 04:02:16 AM »
Hi again,

Have you checked the Manual (Page 44) is where the info for Jack is, It's really worth checking it out, I learn a LOT from there(& I NEED it ;)

The Manual is in the Applications>Accessories tab even if you didn't D/L it!.

Offline gmaslin

• AVLinux User
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »
Thanks, I see that now but it still doesn't explain why I don't see the cross connections described in the original link you posted above. Whatever, it works so I'm going to stop worrying about it. How can I change the clock to use the system (local) RTC (bios) clock?

Offline jiff41

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 03:20:46 AM »
Thanks, I see that now but it still doesn't explain why I don't see the cross connections described in the original link you posted above. Whatever, it works so I'm going to stop worrying about it. How can I change the clock to use the system (local) RTC (bios) clock?
The clock I use is just right click on the task bar @ the bottom>panel preferences>items Scroll down to clock & click add & after that right click on the clock & change things there :whistle:

Don't know if that's what you mean by Bios clock  (I'm still new & learning :blush:)

I can't explain why you don't see the connections in Jack?? :huh:

You do see this pic below??? (& when you click on the Connect box it comes up empty?)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:22:55 AM by jiff41 »

Offline gmaslin

• AVLinux User
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »
@jiff41
I've been enjoying this distro IMMENSELY! It's a perfectly fine desktop OS even without all the excellent studio level software. The bios clock issue is a problem for Windows which inhabits the other partition on my system. AVLinux keeps time just fine but it screws up my Windows time. I thought having both systems sync GMT would solve the problem but it hasn't :(
Clicking on the individual JACK components shows the connections, my error. Now that I'm getting more comfortable with this OS, I want to try plugging in an instrument and recording. I see the Guitarix modeler which should perform this function but why was this program chosen over Rakarrak? Is there any issue with downloading and installing Rakarrak? Also, does AVLinux use the ASIO in the JACK interface by default?

Offline jiff41

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 03:09:15 AM »
Hi again,
I like Rakarack as well & I downloaded it from https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiZs_DKvpLWAhWnAMAKHY7dBoMQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Frakarrack.sourceforge.net%2F&usg=AFQjCNFVIeqYOdmsgC3EzwthWi_KFhrP6g
And it works but doesn't get updated whereas Guitarix does but have them both? :D

I don't know what you mean by using Asio by default in Jack? :blush:

Offline jiff41

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 03:28:32 AM »

Offline gmaslin

• AVLinux User
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
@jiff41
Thanks for the link. Speaking of updates, my Firefox says it needs updating but I'm hesitant to update for fear of breaking something. Has anyone reported any issues with this update? Also, are there any issues installing Kodi on AVLinux? Since you have used both, what does rakarrak have that guitarix doesn't?

Offline jiff41

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 03:55:02 AM »
@jiff41
Thanks for the link. Speaking of updates, my Firefox says it needs updating but I'm hesitant to update for fear of breaking something.
 what does rakarrak have that guitarix doesn't?

If you haven't got the new updater in Applications>Accessories> Quick Update, then it maybe in Synaptic, open that & in the search box enter Mozilla?

And I don't think there's anything in Rakkarack that isn't in Guitarix but they're just different settings made by different people hence different sound=no better,no worse?  :huh:

Offline stratojaune

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
https://musical-artifacts.com/

to download presets for Guitarix from people all over the world... AFAIK, maybe the real differrence with Rakarrack?