Author Topic: Possible Base Distro for AVLinux  (Read 15382 times)

Offline rockhopper

• RockHopper
Possible Base Distro for AVLinux
« on: April 08, 2017, 03:48:37 AM »
Hi,

Haven't posted here in a long time but stumbled across a distro called MX Linux and thought it would make the perfect base for AVLinux:

https://mxlinux.org/about-us
https://mxlinux.org/current-release-features

It's based on Debian stable and comes in both 32 and 64 bit flavours with an Xfce 4.12 desktop.  It's got built-in remastering tools with a nice GUI to create live USB and ISO images.  Can run in live mode in 10 languages and has a 64-bit UEFI installer.  Custom setup tools like Broadcom manager, codecs installer, menu editor.  In addtion to Debian stable repos there is also the MX Community repos which contains backports from Debian testing.

Add the KXStudio repos, custom kernel and a few tweaks and you've got something that looks a lot like - you guessed it - AVLinux!

Offline anahata

• Treewind recording studio and web hosting
Re: Possible Base Distro for AVLinux
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 05:36:14 AM »
Well, the fact that it has to have a re-install instead of using dist-upgrade isn't such a disadvantage as the same applies to AV Linux anyway.

It's based on Debian stable + backports from Debian testing of some packages, whereas AV Linux is based on Debian testing anyway, so there's a chance AV Linux will have access to newer versions of some packages.

Can run in live mode in 10 languages and has a 64-bit UEFI installer.  Custom setup tools like Broadcom manager, codecs installer, menu editor.
OK, I don't know how well the Debian/AVLinux combination competes with that...
I like that it uses sysvinit  and not systemd  :)

I guess my greatest misgiving is that it's two generations of "based on" away from Debian. I'm quite confident Debian will be here in five or ten years time, but I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say that about MX.

Offline anahata

• Treewind recording studio and web hosting
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »
I guess my greatest misgiving is that it's two generations of "based on" away from Debian.

Clarification: I mean a version of AV Linux that was "based on" MX would be...

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
Hi,

Interesting... looks like the brain trust of Mepis, I recognize most of those names, I was a Mepis user as my first distro. Very bright guys for sure.

Will have a look, next AVL release will align with Stretch when it goes stable, Systemback is on hold so unless he picks up development I may be forced to find an alternative which MX would surely fit the bill nicely. But in the meantime the first AVL 2017 release is just receiving it's final coat of wax and will continue with what I've been doing, hopefully this will be the most refined and reliable release to date.

falkTX is incredible and his work with MOD project takes priority over KX now as it should, I don't know if KX will be able to maintain the timely updates that it has until recently so that may remain to be seen. But other than a few tweaks rockhoppers formula pretty much eliminates any need for me at all  ;)

Offline korakios

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »
Very beautiful distro! I'll install it on virtual machine and mess around...
+1 for AVLinux base

Offline 33Nicolas

• New AVLinux User, heck new Linux user!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »
I keep Antix as a backup boot option. I love it. It's so wildly fast. The upgrade procedure is the only quirk I found with it.
As Above, So Below
So Below, As Above