Author Topic: HOW ABOUT A NEW VERSION WHERE YOU DON'T HACK THE ROOT PASSWORD?  (Read 11732 times)

Offline Flagonthefield

• AVLinux User
HOW ABOUT A NEW VERSION WHERE YOU DON'T HACK THE ROOT PASSWORD?
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:08:54 PM »
(In Liem Neeson's voice): 
So am I to understand  that every LIVE session that goes online combines into a  botnet of other peoples creative systems and art, since the maker was kind enough to be the only one alive with access to the root system? or did you sell it? 

(Now in your imaginary impression of my voice):
 Shame on you dude. But what a great way to get access to a giant botnet of peoples brand new work, creative ideas, and inspirations. A little modification here and there to what you can glean and you have a never ending supply of creative work done for you for free that you can sell to the corporate machine. And the whole time all the artists feeding you their work are thanking you for the system you have given them... wow... welcome to the new age....

'For security reasons" - Exactly who's security? Leaving root out of my hands takes any chance at security away from me.
you moved root out of the sudoers file to where exactly? When I install this does your hidden secret backdoor root access password go away?
Is this open source or a commercial product?

Grats on portraying a giant wide open backdoor as "security", now open source work can hide back (or in  this case front) door access for 'security' reasons, you are so thoughtful... maybe this can become the norm...

:alien:

Offline GordonS

Re: HOW ABOUT A NEW VERSION WHERE YOU DON'T HACK THE ROOT PASSWORD?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:12:43 AM »
Hmm.

Perhaps you've had a bad day.

A reason for keeping the root password secret on the DVD is to stop people being able to hack into your system.

If you're worried about your security,  and you should be, you could install it.  You'll set your own root password
Or you could keep your machine off of the Net, either by firewall or just by not connecting it.
Or you could make your own DVD with your own root password.

Personally I'm more worried about security breaches via Google, Amazon, Apple and the rest, than I'm likely to be by Gmaq, who produces an excellent platform for our purposes.  Free(beer), Free(libre), OpenSource, and the rest of it.

If you do install it or make your own DVD, do please make a donation. Gmaq deserve it for all the work he puts into AVLinux.

Gordon.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:27:11 AM »
Hi,

The initial 2016.3 release did not provide a Root password because it employed a completely new version of Debian and a completely new ISO creation system (Systemback), since the installer did not require Root I left it out of the initial Release until I knew better how things would work once released in the wild. That release was taken down a month ago for the 2016.8.30 release which does indeed have a Root password as explained on both the AV Linux Website and the AV Linux User manual.

There was NEVER any malicious intent in leaving Root out of the initial release, nor would I EVER exploit anyone's system, it was simply a decision out of caution to help manage a large number of new system variables. As I've said Root account is now active on the latest release and will be on all subsequent releases.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:00:32 PM by GMaq »

Offline GordonS

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
Incidentally, the account 'root' is probably the only one that you can be certain(*) exists on a Unix system.  All other accounts are a guess.

If you know an account name, you're already part way towards breaking into a machine.

That's why an increasing number of Unixen do not have a root login at all .. no password to crack.

Whether or not that actually improves security is moot, but it may.

(*) Though I have used a few systems where the name 'root' has been changed to something else, notably zeus, jupiter and jain. Spot the theme :-)  Unfortunately that causes other complications.

Gordon.

Offline StraightToTheBar

• In December
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:50:22 PM »
Euhm.. What?

There are but a few human beings that shape the linux-audio landscape as intensely as Glen does (amongst others like Falktx (kxstudio), Trulan (kernels), Paul and Co(ardour), ...). He provides a starting point, and far beyond, for everyone willing to give up on big commercial companie$ when it comes to making music. Sure, there is a learning curve and yes, there is still a way to go, and I'm aware you are entitled to express your opinion, but Glen is not only doing an excellent job in creating Avlinux, he is also doing so in his spare time. Sorry, can't let you bash on his work like that, I think a little respect wouldn't hurt.

Offline Be OK

• AVLinux and KXstudio Have devoted developers
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 04:26:18 AM »
+1 StraightToTheBar. Glen does a great job for all of us . i still wonder where he find the time.
Flagonthefield need to remember that this is stated  "Before downloading AV Linux it is essential to read it’s User Manual" , there is also a line that read  "64bit – Username: isotester Password: avl64 Root Password: avl64admin"
So do not cry  WOLF if there is only a sheep.
Glad you trust micro soft,intel,google and many others.
There slogan is " We do not spy ! We collect data.
A PC is not always a WC !