Author Topic: Commercial software that works with AVLinux. Reviews/Opinions?  (Read 31898 times)

Offline GordonS

Commercial software that works with AVLinux. Reviews/Opinions?
« on: September 08, 2016, 04:34:02 AM »
Hi Glen, guys,

I know a few people will squeal that OpenSource systems are no place for commercial software, but I disagree for several reasons.  Mostly that objecting to commercial software takes away any incentive to support OpenSource OSs and that people have to earn a crust if they're to survive.  There _is_ also some very good commercial software available, and the number of tools being ported to Linux et al is gradually increasing, particularly after the poor reception for Win8.

As I work primarily with Linux, both as a home/music PC platform and as a work platform, my first question about every tool is "can I use it on Linux".  If the answer is yes, it goes into the "will try that" list.  If the answer is no, it goes into the "if I can't find a good Linux tool, I'll try this" list.  And I prefer true native operation every time. Wine is good, native is better.

Perhaps there's an opportunity for a pinned thread?

I'll start the ball rolling with a couple that I use and a couple that I'm trying.

Pianoteq:  Piano Synthesizer/modeler  https://www.pianoteq.com/

I've been using this for some years now.  It's always been solid and reliable and the various piano models are excellent. Runs standalone either with a GUI or headless, or runs as a VSTi.  My only irritation with it is that, if Jack stops, it pops up a dialogue box to say so, and I'd much rather it just reconnected when Jack restarts.  Mostly, Jack doesn't stop, so it's an occasional irritation.  My jack sometimes stops once, shortly after power-up, due to some exception related to ffado and my Saffire Pro40.

Renoise:  Tracker/DAW https://www.renoise.com/

This has been on Linux for a few years now.  I'm a long way from a power user as most of my music is jazz live improvisation and trackers/sequencers don't exactly fit that well with music that includes the thought "Ooh, where's Andy going with this, then?".  But what I have done with it has been pretty good.  Its 'tracker' editing is very efficient.

Tracktion:  DAW https://www.tracktion.com/

I'm new to it.  Looks promising, but I've had a few problems getting it going properly, possibly because my trials so far have been on Ubuntu rather than AVLinux. On Ubuntu it was very unhappy with ALSA and Pulseaudio, but seemed fine with Jack.

BitWig:  DAW http://www.bitwig.com/

Yet to try. I've heard it demands jack2.

BioTek: Synthesizer https://www.tracktion.com/products/biotek

As with Tracktion, I've had a few problems getting it going properly (on Ubuntu again), but it's a very interesting concept.  My music PC has a touch-screen and I'm interested to see how this works with that.

Offline anahata

• Treewind recording studio and web hosting
Re: Commercial software that works with AVLinux. Reviews/Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 04:48:18 AM »
Well, there's the OvertoneDSP (previously LinuxDSP) plugins, if they are actually still available for Linux.

It's a pain to have to keep track of the license keys though.

Offline GordonS

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 05:10:06 AM »
It's a pain to have to keep track of the license keys though.

Indeed. I have a mail folder expressly for licenses. I also keep the programs' installer, manuals, license key and so on in /Musical/Software/ProgramName so that I can find everything quickly.  I do have sympathy for the producers, though.  People do steal software and the producers do have to make a living. Natch.

The two things I hate are:
  • Dongles  -- they have no place mobile, they get broken.
  • Apps on Android that "must refresh your license" on a gig!  Especially as my tablet has no 'phone in it!

Offline Be OK

• AVLinux and KXstudio Have devoted developers
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 06:54:56 AM »
Commercial software just means you have to pay for it,in that sense i have no problem at all with it !
Only problem i have is closed source,specially after it stop working, and the author does nothing/is stopped.Other downside is if you can not test it before buying.off topic "More annoying are the payment systems used,most based on usa only.paypall was good until it demanded that you couple a bank account to it !
A PC is not always a WC !

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 11:18:01 AM »
@GordonS

Good topic idea! As you know I've always promoted Commercial software as an optional choice, for reasons explained elsewhere I no longer provide the demos to some of these programs on AVL, but your list so far is a good one.

I have gotten into a few scraps over the years at LinuxMusicians.com where a commercial developer will innocently post to get some feedback from a forum of 'Linux Musicians' only to get berated, insulted and misunderstood by people with extreme FLOSS political views. I believe the 'freedom' in Linux should everyone's freedom to choose what works best for them, whether it's FLOSS, Wine or Commercial. We are certainly now spoiled for choices unlike 10 years ago so that is good news!

Offline GordonS

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »
I couldn't agree more.

I don't know how many times I've heard "We'd like to support Linux, but it's users never want to pay for anything"

forgot Mixbus: http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html
Nice package that seems nicely documented, and I know you and they have cooperated.

I'm revisiting it now.

Gordon.

Offline korakios

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »
U-he is porting their vst to Linux ,including Diva and Zebra

The follow link is from KVR and they are currently in beta

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424953

Maybe ,when they are finished ,we could add them to the list .

Offline martinp

• AVLinux User
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 05:29:29 AM »
Loomer has some interesting products to offer. I use their modulation plugin Manifold practically on every project.

Offline gennargiu

• AVLinux User
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 05:03:53 AM »
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html

Mixbus 4 and Mixbus 4 (32c) for gnu/linux,mac osx and windows 32 and 64 bit  :cool:

Offline joe k

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »
HI

As I have posted before my list of Windows based software . All these programs I currently use on a Desktop and
Laptop PC

Guitar Pro 6
Guitar Pro 7
Melodyne
Power Tracs Pro 12
Reaper
Image Line FL Studio 10, 11,12.
NotePad++

Theres alot more out there that will run

Offline joe k

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
Hi

A couple more Windows programs I run using PlayonLinux.  Using Wine ver 2.15
These are not exhaustively test but they do run.  These are demo versions,  they are pricey and I'm not recommending them for use in Linux only.   But I have had a lot of fun with them.

Stum GS-2
MusicLab Real Guitar
Guitarist

Offline fretski

• AVLinux User
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 06:40:32 AM »
Greets,

I'm not exactly new here but have been mostly inactive on and off while AVL was "forming up" as they say. Now that I've hit upon v-2018 I'm looking at a game-changer from my perspective.

I've always wished for microsore to get out of the OS business and produce commercial Linux apps, open-source IF possible or partly open-source while doing their bit to support the open-source Linux community in general.  Paying for the right software has NEVER been my problem, finding it has.  I don't even have a problem with commercial Linux distros (if that's possible, I wouldn't know).  Let me give an example.  For decades now I've used the proverbial glass (on and off but lately mostly off), always buying the DVD to have legitimacy but always actually using a hacked crack because I wasn't and never will be willing to put up with the activation, never-ending reactivation and backup nixing crap that they field. The Linux app or distro that can get around these irritants while going commercial or partly commercial will have my attention if it provides what I want.   

If DIY were a religion   ...hmm, I just made it one!

Offline gennargiu

• AVLinux User
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
i used all open source audio and multimedia production and other daw commercial compatibility with gnu linux ( Bitwig 8 track,Tracktion 7 and waveform 9)  :cool: ciao

gennaro