Author Topic: AVL 2016.8.30 Released!  (Read 30829 times)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
AVL 2016.8.30 Released!
« on: September 01, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
Hi,

After some issues with the testing release AV Linux 2016.8.30 is here!

Dual-head Screenshot:

AVL 2016.8.30 ISO Release Changelog:

- Fixed UID/GID issue and restored Live and installed UID/GID to '1000'
- Added scripts for fixing/changing UID/GID - See User Manual page 34
- Updated to 4.4.6-RT Kernel with fixed 32bit app support and VBox module building support.
- Enabled running shell scripts by clicking in Thunar to ease installing Ardour and Mixbus bundles
- Fixed WinFF presets for aac encoding
- Added some module configs for AMD Video cards and modesetting.
- Complete new 'Zukitre' based theme necessitated by GTK3 3.20 changing it's API and breaking older GTK3 themes intentionally...WTF!?
- Complete new 'Hooli' theme for AVL 32bit (note 'resize' is in the Hooli window manager titlebar options)
- Complete Removal of Kdenlive and KDE5 runtime components... Kdenlive is simply not in a good place right now to feature on a LiveISO. As always you can install it later if you want it.
- Removed Openshot for same reason as Kdenlive... it has great potential but just isn't there yet...
- Complete removal of LibreOffice... it updates far too often and wastes huge amounts of time and bandwidth to keep current in my development builds.
- New Slim theme and custom wallpapers provided by Harrison Consoles. Thanks to Mike at Harrison!
- Added 'catfish' file search and integrated with Thunar
- Added 'xclip' and File path copying to Clipboard as a Thunar custom action (paste your path with the middle mouse button or click scroll)
- Added 'Transmission' to provide a Bittorrent client
- Updates to manual and new section on GPT/UEFI.
- Removed Audacious and VLC and replaced both with mpv (new fork of Mplayer2), very light and easy to use from Thunar
- Removed old sources.list entries and replaced KXStudio GCC-5 repos with the latest versions
- Cleaned up some old files that were not necessary or shouldn't be there at all... :blush:
- Updated to Ardour 5.3.0 and Mixbus 3.6.0

Find it in the usual place!:
http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

Donations are of course welcomed, as silly as it may sound another way you can help me out is to help me promote my band 'Rated Blue' by liking our band Facebook page, if we achieve 500 likes+ with this AVL release that would be awesome so if you're a Facebook user and don't mind the cost of a click help us out. ;) :)

https://www.facebook.com/ratedblue/

NOTES:

A new version?! Do I have to update now!?

Think of it this way... AV Linux is based on Debian Testing which is a 'rolling' Distribution.  AV Linux is released as a customized snapshot which is kind of like an entry point to getting on the Rolling bus, if you got on the bus back in March with AV Linux 2016.3 and have been updating your applications you are basically mostly up to date with where AV Linux is now except for whatever items or customizations appear in the changelog for this new release, most of the changelog items are fairly minor so if you are happy with your system now you don't have to ditch what you have and install a whole new system if you don't want. On the other hand if you want to start fresh with an updated ready-to-work system or are interested in having everything in the changelog instantly incorporated quickly and easily you may decide to back up your data and start fresh from this new point in 2016.8.30. There is no right or wrong, it is essentially up to you. What I'm trying to do is continually improve the entry point for people who are getting started with AV Linux so they can get started for Audio work on the right foot. Anyone who has tweaked their existing system to their liking or is happy with their current setup should not feel pressured to update.

*IMPORTANT* AV Linux uses the KXStudio Repositories for many of the multimedia applications, occasionally KXStudio packages may fall a bit behind being compatible with Debian Testing (the base of AV Linux). This is not something I personally can fix, the number one best way to address this issue is to send bug reports directly to falkTX the maintainer of KXStudio at this URL: https://github.com/KXStudio/Repository/issues

- AV Linux is now built in Virtualbox and for my convenience with building and moving ISO files around the Virtualbox guest modules are left in, you will see a harmless message on boot about them. If you don't want them simply reload Synaptic and uninstall the 'virtualbox-guest' related packages...

KNOWN ISSUES:

Somehow during the creation of the latest ISO's a package called 'python-vte' got uninstalled by an update, this seemingly innocent little package is quite important in providing the GUI's for 'Reportbug' and 'Software and Updates', this also affects the 'Repositories' applet in the AV Linux Assistant. To restore function to these applications install the 'python-vte' package from Synaptic.

Upon reloading Synaptic you will be greeted by a litany of 'weak digest' errors pertaining to some of the included Repositories (most notably KXStudio) which are actually warnings which are indeed annoying but can be safely ignored. The reason for this is fully explained here: https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Apt/Sha1Removal
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:46:57 PM by GMaq »

Offline durfnap

Re: AVL 2016.8.30 Released!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »
Thanks a lot for your ongoing work on AVL!

As I have no facebook account, a donation is on the way! :laugh:

Offline wyeth

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:38:14 PM »
Hi,
How far away from the ranch is the nearest Guitar Center?

Very strong update, is there a jackd module for the new mplayer?
I use smplayer with such a module quite a bit, as a faux drummer,
or backup-band.
How's the splitting maul holding up?

Are the U-he/discoDSP demos included? If not, would be cool
for the Octoberfest release, and partly fill the Open Office space nicely.
Cheers

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 09:06:37 AM »
Thanks a lot for your ongoing work on AVL!

As I have no facebook account, a donation is on the way! :laugh:

durfnap!

Thank you VERY much, I really appreciate it.  :)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 09:16:37 AM »
Hi,

or backup-band.

Cheers

Hi,

No Guitar Centers here alas (but plenty of Long & McQuade's!)

AV Linux is set up for ALSA Loopback OOTB so no need for extra JACK modules in things like MPV and VLC etc, select your Audio device in Qjackctl, start JACK and Media Players, Web Browsers etc all get routed to it.

Other than Harrison Mixbus who have been very kind to me I don't do commercial demos anymore, in the past some companies seemed to appreciate it and would occasionally help me out with licences etc, but most seemed quite ambivalent at the effort involved in setting their demos up ready-to-run on a Live disc, quite often I would do extra work like Menu entries etc. to make them more visible and easy for new Linux users and hear nothing or get no mention from these companies as an avenue to try their wares so I decided to leave them to their own marketing devices from now on, not in a pouty or vindictive way, simply in the interest of getting the most out of my limited time for AVL  ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:40:13 AM by GMaq »

Offline calimerox

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 03:31:03 PM »
congrats for this update! I think very good decisionsto drop ooffice, kdenlive (though the new version runs ok, but only when u got all the kde stuff installed.. ;( ) and to focus on the reliable software and tweaks for AV production..

:) :) :)

Offline wyeth

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 03:29:44 AM »
Hi,

or backup-band.

Cheers

Hi,

No Guitar Centers here alas (but plenty of Long & McQuade's!)

AV Linux is set up for ALSA Loopback OOTB so no need for extra JACK modules in things like MPV and VLC etc, select your Audio device in Qjackctl, start JACK and Media Players, Web Browsers etc all get routed to it.

Other than Harrison Mixbus who have been very kind to me I don't do commercial demos anymore, in the past some companies seemed to appreciate it and would occasionally help me out with licences etc, but most seemed quite ambivalent at the effort involved in setting their demos up ready-to-run on a Live disc, quite often I would do extra work like Menu entries etc. to make them more visible and easy for new Linux users and hear nothing or get no mention from these companies as an avenue to try their wares so I decided to leave them to their own marketing devices from now on, not in a pouty or vindictive way, simply in the interest of getting the most out of my limited time for AVL  ;)
Funny, I never considered the happiness or lack thereof, of the commercial coders,
rather just the potential of linux users to broaden their horizons. The U-he items install easily
by running a script, so

bash name-of-installer

Each installer creates a link from .vst to .u-he, quite low maintenance.
The discoDSP items reside in Documents/discoDSP, just open the zip file there, and link
the .so files to .vst. And from then on, those folders can be dropped in new installs, as updates
are rarely issued, and demos can put up the gist, without being the very latest build.

The all alsa thing seems fine in Ardour. I sometimes use several things connected
in qjackctl. I used to use kaconnect and acconnectgui. probably still can.

What's the the nearest L & McQ? I see there are tons of them, Mississaugua has a sizeable herd.
Probably with some nice unique Canadian gear I've never heard of.
Cheers

Offline bossesand

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 05:23:09 AM »
Great work.
I I have liked your facebook page  :cool:

Just a small note so, far torrent users have downloaded 1086 GB in the ratio 423 GB for 32 bit release and 663 GB of the 64 bit version of your previous release from my torrent server  :)
Also donated, so you can have at least one beer on me.

Best Regards
Bo-Erik     
Stockholm Sweden
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:28:28 AM by bossesand »

Offline Be OK

• AVLinux and KXstudio Have devoted developers
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
Install go good,can login as user .On update it ask for password i give that but say its not good.Same pass in terminal for su works!
Any hints ?
A PC is not always a WC !

Offline bossesand

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »

By the way, in the Latest issue of the  LINUX Format magazine published in UK, In the letters to the Answers column they promised,
 they will review AVLinux in a coming  issue. :nerd:

Bo-Erik Sandholm

Offline topyli

• AVLinux User
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 11:02:07 AM »
According to Distrowatch, the latest AV Linux is still 6.0.4, released on 2014-11-06. Perhaps a quick message their way would be in order? :)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 01:22:30 PM »
Great work.
I I have liked your facebook page  :cool:

Just a small note so, far torrent users have downloaded 1086 GB in the ratio 423 GB for 32 bit release and 663 GB of the 64 bit version of your previous release from my torrent server  :)
Also donated, so you can have at least one beer on me.

Best Regards
Bo-Erik     
Stockholm Sweden

Great! Thank you very much!

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 01:28:04 PM »
Install go good,can login as user .On update it ask for password i give that but say its not good.Same pass in terminal for su works!
Any hints ?

Hi!

That is strange... did you have this problem with the 2016.8 Testing version? Nothing relating to the installer was changed between the 2016.8 Testing version and this 2016.8.30 release. The only difference is Ardour was updated to 5.3.0 and /etc/modproble.d/radeon-kms.conf was altered from 'options radeon modeset=0' to 'options radeon modeset=1'

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »
According to Distrowatch, the latest AV Linux is still 6.0.4, released on 2014-11-06. Perhaps a quick message their way would be in order? :)

Hi,

Yes that's true. I didn't publicize the first release of AV Linux 2016 to Distrowatch because there was so much new stuff and I wanted to flush any big bugs out into the open first, for this release I will probably give it a day or two before notifying them, Distrowatch is a great resource but they really give the download servers a pounding when you go public.  :D

Offline Be OK

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
Hello GMac , no the 2016,8 installed and worked ,update to.Only had some problems with soundcard,but no surprise on a laptop.Dit a fresh install. And as login on terminal as su works, i dit not goof up at install time :)  Any advice how as SU set the password in i assume sudo ?

Offline topyli

• AVLinux User
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »

I didn't publicize the first release of AV Linux 2016 to Distrowatch because there was so much new stuff and I wanted to flush any big bugs out into the open first, for this release I will probably give it a day or two before notifying them, Distrowatch is a great resource but they really give the download servers a pounding when you go public.  :D

Sounds sane :)

Offline Be OK

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
Interesting things i did what is on this page www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/18063/debian-8-1-0-jessie-sudo-fix-not-installed-by-default so i am in sudo.
Now the joke the su password is not the same as the sudo,s ! for sudo it uses the session password.
Now i can use synaptic  :D And YES i try all passwords even avl64 and avl64admin  :whistle:

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 09:50:35 AM »
Interesting things i did what is on this page www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/18063/debian-8-1-0-jessie-sudo-fix-not-installed-by-default so i am in sudo.
Now the joke the su password is not the same as the sudo,s ! for sudo it uses the session password.
Now i can use synaptic  :D And YES i try all passwords even avl64 and avl64admin  :whistle:

Hey!

Glad you found a solution, I still don't fully understand why it did that, I've done a few test installs and haven't been able to make it happen here...

Offline GordonS

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 07:08:15 AM »

AFAICS that would be correct behaviour.  sudo gives you permission to run commands at root level, but it does not, of itself, log you in as root. To be able to use sudo, you have to be given permission "in the sudoers file".  It does mean that several users can each run commands at root level, without actually having root's password. It's also quite possible to set up a system where one cannot log in as root through the normal login procedure, however  sudo su   usually works.

Gordon.

Offline pburyk

• AVLinux / Ardour / Mixbus User
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 04:56:03 PM »
GMAQ -

Thank you 1000 times over for your hard work and releasing 2016.8.30 !!!!!!
I finally got the time to get back into testing out this new release and am extremely happy
to report that the 64-bit version installed without any issues whatsoever and has been running
for me for the past couple days. Dual-headed monitor config came up right off the bat.
I was able to start up Audacity, Ardour & Mixbus 3.6 immediately and verified that my previous
mixes run as expected. I also installed Mixbus 32C and that is also working fine. So 95% of the
system seems to be quite usable. Only thing left for me to do here is find and install LibreOffice
and re-establish a way to print off documents.

Again, much thanks and appreciation to you for putting out this release!!!!!

Very Best Regards,
Patrick

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »
Hi,

Glad to hear it! Libreoffice and hplip (if your printer is an HP) should be easily installable from Synaptic.

Offline pburyk

• AVLinux / Ardour / Mixbus User
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »
Yeah.... LibreOffice installed via Synaptic (no big deal there...
and printer setup was accomplished via the onboard CUPS utility (localhost:631).

I've been trying to get "gcdmaster" back online ... I was using that with AVL 6.0.4
but there are some missing libraries that I can't seem to find now. Installed the
whole GNOME package in hopes of satisfying the recompiling of gcdmaster but that
didn't work either. I don't plan on using the GNOME desktop (sticking with the desktop
that comes with AVL64 ) so I might just look for another CD burner to replace gcdmaster.

Another little gotcha that I noticed last night is that my keyboard no longer controls the
volume and muting of YouTube vids, or sound files when I hover over them. Not a big deal
for me at this time but I'm looking into a fix for that just the same.

Cheers!

Patrick