Author Topic: AVL 2016.8 Testers Needed!  (Read 29974 times)

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
Re: AVL 2016.8 Testers Needed!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 07:09:48 PM »
I have a problem with the new 64-bit ISO. I run an HP Pavilion dv7-4173, 8 Gb of RAM and an external DELL monitor connected via HDMI. When I do a live-boot or an install on the avl64-2016.3.11 the external monitor is recognized and works beautifully. When I do either a live-boot or install on avl64-2016.8 the external monitor IS NOT recognized nor usable. Is there something I am missing? I currently am writing this on the 3.11 live-boot and getting ready to install.

Darrel

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 07:25:35 PM »
What kind of Video card?

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 07:45:49 PM »
It's what the laptop comes with as standard - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics.

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 07:48:49 PM »
Again, just to clarify. I have installed 3.11, am currently updating software, and am writing this reply from my external DELL monitor. :)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 07:57:52 PM »
Again, just to clarify. I have installed 3.11, am currently updating software, and am writing this reply from my external DELL monitor. :)

Hmmm

OK I think the problem can be solved by loading the radeon module, feel free to use what you want but other than this bump in the road with ATI graphics 2016.8 is a far superior release... just sayin'

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 08:01:17 PM »
Oh I totally want to run on it! How do I get and/or install the radeon module? I will happily reinstall 2016.8 if I can get my external monitor recognized. thanks for you time GMag. I appreciate it!

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 08:08:50 PM »
OK,

I don't have any ATI hardware to test here, but if you're willing to install 2016.8 and try a few things it would be VERY helpful. I think from some posts here it may be that the kernel module is not getting loaded (or being told to load) at boot time.

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 08:11:09 PM »
I am more than willing! What do I need to do? Is there a change that needs to happen to the ISO so it "sees" the 2nd monitor?

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 08:15:24 PM »
Hi,

The ISO as-is will need to be installed. Once we have an install and try some things to get your monitor working then I will know what to fix on an updated ISO if that makes sense. Are you able to install if you don't have a 2nd monitor working for now?

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 08:18:43 PM »
Hi Gmaq,

AMD/ATI monitor detection problem . . .

I found a solution that works for me:
I changed the value of the parameter in the file
/etc/default.d/radeon-kms.conf
from modprobe radeon=0 to modprobe radeon=1

Now the monitor is properly detected at boot time,
and works at full resolution 1920x1080 @ 60Hz!
So, I can continue testing your new distribution.

Can I give you a suggestion?
It would be very nice to incorporate the option to select the language and keyboard layout
at the beginning of the installation of AV Linux distribution.

Best regards
Route88

@Route88

Are you sure that path isn't "/etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf" ?

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 08:23:14 PM »
Yes I can install with only the laptop screen. I need to reburn my thumb drive, install .8, then I will let you know. Thanks!

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 09:04:46 PM »
Okay, I have installed 2016.8, rebooted and do not have my external monitor recognized. What should I do now? This is my display information "RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250] [1002:9712]"

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2016, 09:15:04 PM »
Hi!

Wow that was fast! OK well we'll try one thing at a time, so first:

Open a Root Terminal and copy and paste this command:
Code: [Select]
mousepad /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf
That will open a text file that contains this text:

options radeon modeset=0

Change the text to this, then save the file in Mousepad:

options radeon modeset=1

Reboot and tell me what happens...

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »
Well that was fun! I am now typing this message on the external monitor! Changing modeset to 1 caused my external monitor to be recognized.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2016, 09:26:07 PM »
Yay!

Thanks very much for helping me test that out, I now know what needs changing, or at least what people will need to alter to fix the problem. Thanks again!

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »
'Tis me pleasure. I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this distro!

Offline Route88

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2016, 03:59:22 AM »
Hi Gmaq,
Maybe is this out of topic, but let me add some comments here, and SHARE it with the others.
This may be very helpful for newbies like me.
So, because I am not expert in the Linux world , but after spending a few years with various Linux distributions
(usually debian) I got to practice immediately after installation to do the several things :
1. Set autologin ( edit autologin option in slim , lightdm . . . )
2. Adjust source.list file. For example set mirror site to "ftp.hr.debian.org" works best for me,
because I am living in Croatia. I am talking about download-upload speed.
3. Adjust the GRUB parameters:
 - set GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 . . . so I have enought time to choose right operating system. I have a couple of bootable disks in the system.
 - set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noquiet nosplash verbose"  . . . so I can see what happens during boot time.

And finally the most useful thing I've ever used a few years ago, when I tried to find a best linux audio distro for me.
I often had a problem with system hangs during boot time, od accidentally crash during normal use.
I found that problem was my Asus MOTHERBOARD (with Nvidia chipset) in combination with linux RT kernel.
The problem was solved by adding the "noapic" option in GRUB:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noquiet nosplash verbose noapic"
In the meantime, I changed the motherboard , so now I do not use this option.

Best regards

P.S.
If you think this post is unnecessary, feel free to delete it .

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2016, 07:15:41 AM »
I'm going to post this as a 2016.8 "issue". I am trying to install the tools I work with
1. TuxGuitar -
2. Lilypond

When I try to mark tuxguitar I get these errors:
tuxguitar:
 Depends: libitext-java but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libswt-cairo-gtk-3-jni but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libswt-gtk-3-java but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libswt-webkit-gtk-3-jni but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libgcj14 (>=4.8) but it is not installable

I have found everything except libgcj14, TuxGuitar (from the KXStudio repos) does not want to install. Any suggestions?

Darrel

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
I'm going to post this as a 2016.8 "issue". I am trying to install the tools I work with
1. TuxGuitar -
2. Lilypond

When I try to mark tuxguitar I get these errors:
tuxguitar:
 Depends: libitext-java but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libswt-cairo-gtk-3-jni but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libswt-gtk-3-java but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libswt-webkit-gtk-3-jni but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libgcj14 (>=4.8) but it is not installable

I have found everything except libgcj14, TuxGuitar (from the KXStudio repos) does not want to install. Any suggestions?

Darrel

Hi,

Good report, but it needs to be reported to falkTX of KXStudio, I have nothing really to do with multimedia packaging and repos any more (other than the relatively few 'avlinux8' named packages). My job is the 'chassis and wheels' and a good low latency audio environment, KXStudio repositories and packages are a separate entity.

URL for KXStudio bug reports: https://github.com/KXStudio/Repository/issues

Make sure you indicate you are using Debian Testing/AV Linux

Offline darrel_jw

• AVLinux User
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2016, 05:39:45 PM »
The only reason I report it here is - it installs and plays beautifully on 3.11, but not on 2016.8. So to me it seems to be an AVLinux issue and not KXStudio? If it was KXStudio then it should not have installed on 3.11 either, right?

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »
The only reason I report it here is - it installs and plays beautifully on 3.11, but not on 2016.8. So to me it seems to be an AVLinux issue and not KXStudio? If it was KXStudio then it should not have installed on 3.11 either, right?

Hi,

Because of the very active nature of Debian Testing what has happened most likely is that there have been numerous updates of the dependencies in Debian Testing since AVL 2016.3.11 and the KXStudio tuxguitar packages have probably not been updated since those dependencies changed and where before there were no conflicts now there are. Unfortunately Debian is driving the bus here and when Debian's dependencies change it will be up to 3rd party repos to update to accommodate Debian not the other way around.

falkTX does an absolutely amazing job of all of this but he is only one guy who now has a full-time job working with the MOD guys, occasionally there will be blips like this when we use a cutting edge Distro like Debian Testing as a base. The best case scenario is to file a bug report at the link provided and the sooner falkTX knows about it, the sooner he can address it and update his packaging.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 08:16:04 PM »
Hi Gmaq,
Maybe is this out of topic, but let me add some comments here, and SHARE it with the others.
This may be very helpful for newbies like me.
So, because I am not expert in the Linux world , but after spending a few years with various Linux distributions
(usually debian) I got to practice immediately after installation to do the several things :
1. Set autologin ( edit autologin option in slim , lightdm . . . )
2. Adjust source.list file. For example set mirror site to "ftp.hr.debian.org" works best for me,
because I am living in Croatia. I am talking about download-upload speed.
3. Adjust the GRUB parameters:
 - set GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 . . . so I have enought time to choose right operating system. I have a couple of bootable disks in the system.
 - set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noquiet nosplash verbose"  . . . so I can see what happens during boot time.

And finally the most useful thing I've ever used a few years ago, when I tried to find a best linux audio distro for me.
I often had a problem with system hangs during boot time, od accidentally crash during normal use.
I found that problem was my Asus MOTHERBOARD (with Nvidia chipset) in combination with linux RT kernel.
The problem was solved by adding the "noapic" option in GRUB:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noquiet nosplash verbose noapic"
In the meantime, I changed the motherboard , so now I do not use this option.

Best regards

P.S.
If you think this post is unnecessary, feel free to delete it .

Good advice, thanks for sharing it, Autologin has been requested for the LiveISO but it is a bit tricky to do with SliM since 'isotester' would be hardcoded as the autologin user in /etc/slim.conf after the user has installed it under their own different username.

Offline Route88

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2016, 06:36:18 AM »
Hi Qmaq,

Once we have successfully overcome the problem of graphics cards . . . it is time for further testing .

avl32-2016.8 (32bit system) - installation failed . The problem is solved with avl32-2016.8b revision :).

1. Meanwhile I installed 64bit version and after problems with monitors detection described in earlier posts (solved) I started to further testing.
In 64-bit version I could not run windows application ( Amplitube 2) with wineasio driver .
I configured wine using winecfg in terminal (or via the menu) and setup audio card to Hoontech STA dsp24 Media7.1 . . . under Audio tab.
I run (in terminal):
regsvr32 wineasio.dll
Failed to load DLL wineasio.dll

Then I run:
wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll
Successfully registered DLL wineasio.dll

But I still can not run Amplitube 2 under wine with wineasio driver - no asio driver (only with directX driver)
I think someting is wrong with 32-bit windows application under 64-bit AVL. Or I screwed up something.

2. Then I installed 32-bit version again (avl32 2016.8.b) and after successful installation I found the following :
During setup wine by winecfg , the system required the installation winetricks and winegecko . I installed it .
But by starting Windows application setup (Amplitube 2)  I received a message something like "could not find the Wine loader "
Then I made ​​a reinstallation wine-rt using Synaptic.
Then my windows applications started working normally , and may be used with winasio driver using a jack .
I did not found that issue in avl32-2016.11 distro.

3. In 32-bit version I can not resize some windows (including terminal) with mouse.
In avl32-2016.11 version I have not found these problems.

For now, I will continue to use and test the 32 - bit version to see cooperation Amplitube VST and Ardour .
64-bit version I I intend to install on another drive . Fortunately each drive is located in a detachable tray. Ha-ha. :)

I'm sorry if my english is too bad . I rarely write and more rarely speak.

Best regards
Route88

Offline Route88

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2016, 03:45:25 PM »
Hi,
3. In 32-bit version I can not resize some windows (including terminal) with mouse.
In avl32-2016.11 version I have not found these problems.
I just found - in "Windows and shortcut properties", if I want to resize windows with mouse, theme must not be Hooli style.
Choosing Zukitre or Zukitwo style, resizing with mouse is possible but difficult. Choosing another style resizing works well.
My choice is Daloa style.

Offline korakios

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2016, 03:46:26 PM »
The modeset trick worked for my R9 280x. (it did not recognized second monitor) But I preferred switching to NVidia. (Better Linux support and cuda)

Offline wyeth

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2016, 12:48:02 AM »
But I still can not run Amplitube 2 under wine with wineasio driver - no asio driver (only with directX driver)
I think someting is wrong with 32-bit windows application under 64-bit AVL. Or I screwed up something.

In 64-bit version I could not run windows application ( Amplitube 2) with wineasio driver .

Hi, have you tried using the latest version of Amplitube 3, the free 'Custom Shop' version?
It includes a useful subset of gear to build on.

Assuming you have reaper DAW, or a working carla win-vst setup, or festige, or fst-host etc
If it works for you, it has an option to add your existing legacy amplitube gear, which has worked for me.
It places A2 and other older  gear in a submenu off the main gear menu. The Custom Shop should also work,
so you can test each model for a 48 hour stretch, once each year, no-hissing,
and purchase individual amps/effects based on your ears.
Amplitube4 is a separate product, with superior engine, but great deals come up sometimes,
and I think the same legacy gear option holds true, and I think I've read that the new engine
has a positive effect on the older models.

Have you tried the LePue Poulin free ampsims? These rival commercial products,
as do TSE, Ignite, and ACME Bargig Shred, details and links in posts at

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com  or search engines

I love the Poulin Solo C Fullstack, a Soldano sim.

edit, 'leCab' is a Poulin cabsim, you'll need a cabsim in your chain,
and there are two versions.

(Headcase from ACME Bargig is now free, at their facebook page,
but I could never get it's knobs working in wine, back in 1.4 era.
Maybe things are better these days. It's a great sim, worth keeping
a secret windows partition parked on a barge in the bayou, a bargepole length from
the dock, just to be safe. Those unawares, the Headcase amp models are embedded
in jpeg images of each amp, of which many have been freely donated by the sundry creators!
Shred is a predecessor to Headcase, using a different gui engine, and has a great mic placement implementation,
augmented by a range of room textures)

GrindMachine has a Free version, it's a great fun metal ampsim, (best Metal sim I've heard, but my ears
are pretty old)and I'm not even metallic, not yet, at least. These freebies should be flawless in reaper/wine

For many things, I find myself most often using Rakarrack, the jalv individual rakarrack ports,
and Guitarix, with the many plugins available. Once familiar with all the rak modules,
the ever growing list of guitarix models, and then their various settings-options,
you can make a set of great combos suited to your taste.
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:55:50 AM by wyeth »