Author Topic: Alternative to XFCE's Archiver preferred and other stuff  (Read 24553 times)

Offline Nystagmus

• AVLinux User
Alternative to XFCE's Archiver preferred and other stuff
« on: April 30, 2016, 06:05:21 PM »
Hello.  I recently demoed AV Linux 2016.3.11 and I really liked it a lot. 

The only main disappointment was the XFCE archiver installed seemed a lot slower for both compression and decompression than what I usually use on Ubuntu Studio v14.04.3 LTS. 

On Ubuntu Studio I usually use Archive Manager v3.10.2.1 "for GNOME",... but I don't use GNOME as my desktop environment, I use XFCE in both Xubuntu and Ubuntu studio.  It has a copyright of 2010, so it's old, but it still works alright.  On later versions of Ubuntu Studio it comes with full 7zip support, but on earlier versions of Ubuntu Studio support for 7zip is partial or non-existant until manually installed from synaptic or whatnot. 

Anyways, I was relieved that I could still create and open 7zip archives, but I the visual interface seemed harder to use than the GNOME archive manager.  Maybe there's some other third party alternative that would work OK.  It also seemed like I had some buggy behavior with the AV Linux's archiver, but I'm not entirely sure if it was to blame or not. 

The other thing I missed having was CatFish file searcher.  I didn't know what was available on AV Linux and I couldn't search for file searchers without a file searcher.  I don't know command line linux well enough to do it that way.  I'm used to graphical programs mainly. 

The thing to keep in mind about me and others like me, is that I don't have internet access on my home computer, so I can't just enable the KX Studio repos or do other routine stuff with Synaptic package manager or whatnot.  I'm stuck with whatever comes on the install .ISO unless there's some easy way to install an offline archive such as DeadBeef or PeaZip Portable. 

Anyways, thanks for reading this.  I was overall impressed with AV Linux and will seriously consider it as a working alternative to my Ubuntu Studio v14.04.3 LTS, especially since v16.04 of Ubuntu Studio has some serious issues (AMD graphics, etc). 

Offline Nystagmus

• AVLinux User
Re: Alternative to XFCE's Archiver preferred and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 06:24:01 PM »
Something I forgot to add...

When I booted up AV Linux for the first time, my \Home\Username\ folder didn't have any special folders such as

Downloads
Music
Pictures
Videos

This surprised me since I installed to mount to \ (root) and didn't otherwise do anything different than my Ubuntu Studio installs that do automatically create those folders. 

Firefox was expecting the Downloads folder and I just like their nice folder icons.  I created the folders manually, but it seemed like an unneeded step otherwise. 

The \home\username\.wine and C:\ subfolders DID get installed, after I ran wine or winecfg for the first time.  This is similar to the Ubuntus, but it might be nice to mention this in the AV Linux manual so people aren't wondering where they are.  This was important since I needed to install the Windows .TTF fonts into C:\Windows\Fonts so that programs such as FL Studio Installer would work. 

Also, it's important to mention that the FL Studio Installer won't work until both Wine's Mono and Gecko are installed.  Without those installed, the FL Studio installation (v12.x) fails or fails partially (doesn't install FL Studio ASIO, etc). 

Luckily, if you do both of those things, FL Studio installs successfully on AV Linux and does run slightly smoother than on Ubuntu Studio. 

I don't know if you'd want to mention the Mono and Gecko stuff in the manual too, but you might want to at least mention where they should be put or how to install the .MSI files ("wine start theFile.msi") so that it's slightly easier for beginners.  I'm not entirely a beginner so it wasn't hard for me, but it's just more steps than just running a program. 

But don't get the wrong idea, I am VERY IMPRESSED with AV Linux.  Even as somebody that doesn't understand JACK very well, I was able to get 32-bit v5.18 of Reaper running smoothly and with some of my VSTi's and VST's.  And that's a turning point. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:26:03 PM by Nystagmus »

Offline Nystagmus

• AVLinux User
Thanks for AV LINUX
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:27:16 PM »
Sorry if it seemed like too much information. 

But just a quick update...

I gave up on Ubuntu Studio for now after problems with some of it's bloatware. 
So now I am running AV Linux. 

Thanks so much for creating a truly professional creative distro.