Author Topic: New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!  (Read 187300 times)

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
Re: New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2019, 02:04:23 AM »
Both RT and lowlatency fail when I use "make oldconfig", the following errors occur:
LEX scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
/bin/sh: 1: flex: not found
scripts/Makefile.lib.193: recipe for target 'scripts/kconfif/zconf.led.c' failed
Makefile:556: recipe for target 'oldconfig' failed
make: *** [oldconfig] Error 2

Let me know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks a bunch Trulan and GMaq

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2019, 02:30:20 AM »
Nevermind, I just had to install two dependencies: FLEX and Bison. After doing that I was able to run makeoldconfig properly. The new Kernel is fantastic, as always your magic blows me away Trulan, congratulations and please keep bringing your babies to us.

Thank you very much as always

Cheers, Rodney

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2019, 07:44:10 PM »
Nevermind, I just had to install two dependencies: FLEX and Bison. After doing that I was able to run makeoldconfig properly. The new Kernel is fantastic, as always your magic blows me away Trulan, congratulations and please keep bringing your babies to us.

Thank you very much as always

Cheers, Rodney
Thanks Rodney!

Glad you got it working.  As you noticed, there are a few new packages required to build the kernel.  Every so often somebody somewhere finds a good enough reason to change something and break stuff for us.  It's just one of the many moving targets in the world of Linux.

I have to laugh at the idea of 'magic' when it comes to this stuff.  I just fetch, merge, tag, and make.  For a few years I had been dabbling in Android ROMs (I was even briefly listed as a co-maintainer of a few obscure phones for CyanogenMod), and the kernel stuff I do here is two orders of magnitude simpler than the glorious mangled mess that is Android.  The real magic is in the people who create music.  That takes real talent.  :)

I am working at some kernel updates again, focusing on the 5.0-rt series.  Things are still a bit volatile with the upstream code base.  The 5.0-rt kernels are officially 'in development', or 'not yet stable'.  I'm building on Debian Buster currently, but I will probably do a set of builds for Stretch at some point (which would support current AV Linux releases) once the dust settles upstream.  If you don't want to wait, you can of course build your own.  As always, you can find my source code at:
https://github.com/musical-chairs/linux/tags

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »
Dear trulan,

You are such a humble person, thank you again for all of your work, I am a musician who can't handle code at all, so for me what you do is just magic, specially because it sounds so good! I've tried other kernels but I couldn't find any other like the AVlinux kernels, super awesome! Woowww, that's great! New RT kernels to try  :D, giving them a try now! Thank you very much again, your work and Glenn's are very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rodney

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2019, 01:03:51 PM »
Yes, I put a new set of kernels up a few days ago.  I haven't gotten a chance to test them extensively yet, but I have a pretty good feeling about this one, 5.0.19-rt11avl2 and the lowlatency (ie, same kernel but without the RT patch).  One bit of info I should probably post is:

Kernel Security Mitigations
The Linux kernel and some chip makers (specifically, Intel) have been in the news lately, and not in a good way.  Numerous hardware security holes have been found, and the kernel now tries really hard to protect against them.  Each security mitigation comes at a cost.  The result is, depending on what you're doing, your computer will be slower with a newer kernel than with an old one.  This is bad for things like servers and website hosting, but it is also most needed there.  I do not know if it affects things like low-latency audio or video rendering.

The good news for us is, there's now an easy way to disable the new security stuff.  If your computer rarely uses the internet, and doesn't host virtual machines used by people you don't know, and if you think your computer is slower with the new kernels, you can try the following:

As root, edit /etc/grub/default.  Find the linux command line.  It should look something like this:
Code: [Select]
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"...with a bunch of stuff in between the quotation marks, separated by spaces.  Add "mitigations=off" to the list, like this:
Code: [Select]
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet mitigations=off"Then (still as root) run update-grub.  Reboot, and see if things are running better.

Please keep in mind that by doing this, you are disabling security features and making your computer more vulnerable to attacks.  This perfectly fine for a single user system that never uses the internet.  The more you use the internet, and the more users you have, the more risk you incur.  Use this 'fix' with caution.

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2019, 05:19:29 PM »
Nice, I'll definitely try that, I don't use my computer connected to the internet at all.

Thanks again for everything Trulan, you rock!

Att.: Rodney

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2019, 11:28:18 PM »
Annnnd it's awesome! Thanks trulan the new command to turn off the mitigations work! That being said, do I still need the "nopti" command or just that one for the new kernel?

Thanks a bunch again

Att.: Rodney

Offline sunrat

• AVLinux User
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2019, 01:26:32 AM »
@Rodney - you seem pleased with the performance after disabling mitigations. Did you benchmark before and after or is it just perception?
IIRC, Phoronix tested a while back and found maximum of about 3% difference in the worst case tests.

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2019, 07:04:10 PM »
Hi sunrat,

It's just perception, I use AvLinux solely for music and at least to my ears, everytime Trulan releases a new kernel, it gets better and better, specially for the amazing simulations by Guitarix. I don't how to test by benchmarking. If you can guide, I can do it. No problem.

Cheers,

Rodney

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 03:44:45 PM »
do I still need the "nopti" command or just that one for the new kernel?
No, you don't.  nopti is set by mitigations=off.  Setting it again won't hurt anything, it's just redundant.