Author Topic: New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!  (Read 177231 times)

Offline Zedman

• Linux User
    • Songs, Stories, Tech Notes
Re: New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »
Thanks Trulan ... just needed to verify since linux-image-4.8.6-rt5avl2_4.8.6-rt5avl2-2 apparently did not offer Nvidia/Ati support ... that's why I upgraded to the 4.9 LTS ... I do a lot of audio/visual work and am looking to purchase a graphics card for video transfers, so I needed the info ... linux-image-4.9.33-rt23avl1_4.9.33-rt23avl1-3_amd64 runs smooth as silk on my MX-16 setup!!

Cheers

Offline 33Nicolas

• New AVLinux User, heck new Linux user!
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
Tx Trulan, it sounds simple enough for me.

Just clarify, I have the following:

-Computer-
Processor      : 8x AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
Memory      : 16419MB (3581MB used)
Operating System      : Debian GNU/Linux 9.1
Kernel      : Linux 4.9.33-rt23avl1 (x86_64)

It sounds as if I installed a regular Debian kernel 4.9 LTS I might unlock more features for my graphic card.

The last question I have is where do I get the 4.9 LTS kernel? I don't see it under the Synaptic Package Manager.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
As Above, So Below
So Below, As Above

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
Hi everybody!  There's a new batch of kernels for your testing, usage, and enjoyment.  This time, there are four kernels available:

For 32 bit: (i386)
linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2
linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2

And for 64 bit: (amd64)
linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2
linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2

The 'rt' kernels are updates to the Real Time Linux kernels you are familiar with in AV Linux.  A Real Time kernel often can perform more consistently at low latencies under heavy load.  (ie, fewer xruns while processing live audio.)

The 'lowlatency' kernels do not include the 'Real Time' patch.  Some hardware does not play well with a full real time kernel, especially hardware that requires proprietary drivers (such as many NVidia video cards).  If you would rather have good graphics and no headaches, and don't care about crazy-low latencies, then these kernels are for you.   Many users will not be able to tell a difference between the real world performance of the two kernels.

As always, I appreciate those of you who test and report back!

Offline jiff41

• AVLinux User (Getting there bit by bit!.)
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 01:27:25 AM »
Is there a tutorial/video anywhere for me to try testing, I'd love to have a go if it's not TOO  :rolleyes: complicated  :cheesy:
I started out with nothing & I still have most of it left!. (Seasick Steve)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »
Is there a tutorial/video anywhere for me to try testing, I'd love to have a go if it's not TOO  :rolleyes: complicated  :cheesy:

Hi,

They just install like any other package from Synaptic, just search:

linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2 or linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2 (depending on what you're looking for) in Synaptic and you can install them, this won't remove your existing kernel and on next boot GRUB will automatically select the newest kernel on the system. If everything works you can later decide to uninstall the previous older kernel using Synaptic as well. If the new kernel doesn't work for some reason or you don't like it, simply select the 'Advanced Options' in GRUB with your keyboard arrow keys on your next boot and select to boot the older kernel and then remove the new kernel using Synaptic...

Easy Peasy! :cool:

Now... if you want to install nVidia proprietary drivers on the lowlatency kernel that is a bit more involved and I am going to document it soon...

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:15:43 PM by GMaq »

Offline jiff41

• AVLinux User (Getting there bit by bit!.)
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 02:48:57 AM »
Easy Peasy! :cool:
:whistle: many thanks Glen!, Here goes then!  :wowed:
I started out with nothing & I still have most of it left!. (Seasick Steve)

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »
I know, I just pushed out a set of kernel updates a few days ago.  But there were a few fixes in the recent upstream updates (including an important fix in the alsa-firewire driver) that I wanted to get out there.  So you will find a set of 4.9.47 kernels (rt and lowlatency) in the repository.  So, there they are, and happy testing!

Offline joe k

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 04:23:43 PM »
Ha

I haven't been able to get any kernel after 4.6 rt to load always  gives a udev permission problem.

Kernel boot error:

Scripts/init-top/udev  line 14 Cant create/sys/kernel/uevent_helper: Permission denied

dosent find the drive.

4.8 kernels
4.9 kernels  all

Offline 33Nicolas

• New AVLinux User, heck new Linux user!
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »
I noticed a search for "linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2" and "linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2" yielded nothing for me. When I removed linux, i.e "4.9.40-rt30avl2 or "4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2" they showed up.

Not sure if this is a problem on my side. Sure got a few of those :)
As Above, So Below
So Below, As Above

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »
Kernel boot error:

Scripts/init-top/udev  line 14 Cant create/sys/kernel/uevent_helper: Permission denied
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the report.  That looks like this bug:  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=752742
Are you running a rather old installation of AV Linux?  If so, you may need to upgrade systemd to get past this.  Even debian jessie (old stable) systemd package has been patched for this as far as I can tell.

@GMaq, have you seen any issues like this on your machines?  There's a workaround kernel config option I can enable if I need to.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »
I noticed a search for "linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2" and "linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2" yielded nothing for me. When I removed linux, i.e "4.9.40-rt30avl2 or "4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2" they showed up.

Not sure if this is a problem on my side. Sure got a few of those :)

Trulan just pushed an updated '4.9.47' kernel, it's possible he replaced 4.9.40 so it no longer appears. I've been busy with work and am a little behind testing right now.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »

@GMaq, have you seen any issues like this on your machines?  There's a workaround kernel config option I can enable if I need to.

Hi,

Sorry busy with work and am behind on kernel testing, 4.9.33 works well for me (other than some Virtualbox stuff which we already discussed) so I'm assuming 4.9.47 will if there were no changes, I need to catch up and sync all my builds next weekend.

From Joe's other posts I think he had networking issues with AVL 2017 and is remarkably still using AV Linux 6.0 (which doesn't have systemd at all)

@Joe, AVL 6.0 is discontinued and obsolete, it's cool if it still works for you, but we can't be making kernel adjustments and alteration to accommodate an obsolete version.

Offline ThothMacDonalds

• AVLinux User
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 12:36:28 AM »
Hey fam! I'm currently playing around with pop_os, and it's pretty cool. A little too slick for my eyes, but I digress... Obviously I couldn't help but tinker, and I just added the avl kernel repo, and couldn't help but notice this 4.14.12 kernel available and didn't see it mentioned here.

I wanted to ask quick question about Trulan's nomenclature, just to be sure... In the description field "on amd64" refers to on an amd64 processor, not simply 64 bit, as it does sometimes, correct? And if it's 32 bit its it labeled specifically i386? Also avl1-x vs avl2-x, are they draft numbers or is there a significant difference between 1 and 2? I hope I'm making sense.

I guess my confusion is because I went to install the amd64 one out of habit, but I have an Intel processor. After reboot it didn't show up in grub. I tried the other one, which I had assumed was i386 and it booted up flawlessly.

Since this is an artful aardvark based distro I probably ought to try the Ubuntu low latency first, but I always appreciate checking out what y'all been up to and I trust you! Haha!

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »
I wanted to ask quick question about Trulan's nomenclature, just to be sure... In the description field "on amd64" refers to on an amd64 processor, not simply 64 bit, as it does sometimes, correct? And if it's 32 bit its it labeled specifically i386? Also avl1-x vs avl2-x, are they draft numbers or is there a significant difference between 1 and 2? I hope I'm making sense.
i386 is 32 bit, amd64 is 64 bit.  It doesn't matter whether your CPU is AMD or Intel or whatever.  That's been Debian's naming convention ever since 64 bit CPUs were a new thing - AMD came out with them first, so they got the name.  That part of the name is generated by the kernel packaging scripts, I don't tell it what to put there.
The 'avl1, avl2' designation is my in-house revision number.  If I add some out-of-tree patches, or change something in the kernel config, I'll bump the revision number.  It's supposed to help me keep track of what I change, and to identify whether I have fixed problems or created more problems.

I guess my confusion is because I went to install the amd64 one out of habit, but I have an Intel processor. After reboot it didn't show up in grub. I tried the other one, which I had assumed was i386 and it booted up flawlessly.

Since this is an artful aardvark based distro I probably ought to try the Ubuntu low latency first, but I always appreciate checking out what y'all been up to and I trust you! Haha!
You installed the 32 bit version of the distro then?  Debian (and most derivatives, I would expect) supports booting a 64 bit kernel for a 32 bit OS, but maybe your distro doesn't, or your grub configuration ignores the 64 bit kernel.  I'm not sure on that one.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:15:38 PM by trulan »

Offline ThothMacDonalds

• AVLinux User
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »
Ok! I thought that was the case, but was starting to doubt myself! Thanks for clearing that up! However, it does deepen my mystery. It is indeed a 64 bit build, but for whatever reason it didn't like the most recent amd64 kernel...

This is not a big deal. Playing with pop_os is just a passing fancy. Doesn't take me long to start to feel like "ewww, Ubuntu."

Thanks again!

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
New Kernels uploaded - testers needed
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 08:30:38 AM »
Hi everybody!

There are a bunch of new kernels up on the repos:
- 4.14.12-rt10 kernels
- 4.9.76-rt61 kernels
- 4.9.76-lowlatency kernels
(all the kernels have an added 'avl#' tag to the name)

All the kernels are available in 32 bit and 64 bit.  I did not build a lowlatency variant of 4.14 yet, 4.14 is still a 'young' kernel so I think I'll wait another stable release or two to build the full set.
Also, all the 64 bit kernels include the Kernel Page Table Isolation patches (aka the Meltdown mitigation), intended to protect Intel CPUs from speculative execution attacks.  This does come with a bit of a performance penalty on some systems, so be aware of this as you test.  KPTI can be disabled at boot time, by adding
Code: [Select]
noptito the grub command line.  This can be done on 'temporary' basis right from the grub menu, or it can be more permanently added to /etc/default/grub.

Rember that kpti is disabled on most AMD CPUs, and is not available on 32 bit kernels.

Thanks for testing!  Your feedback is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:59:06 PM by trulan »

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
New RT Kernel available, ohhh yeah! Trying it out now! Thank you so verrryy much  :) Happy, happy, happy! 2018 started rockin' already!

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 08:10:43 PM »
Dear Trulan,

I don't know how you do your magic, but oh boy!does the new 4.9.76 RT kernel sound sooo good! I tested using my guitarix preset using both kernels: 4.9.76 and 4.9.40 (the same that ships with AVlinux 2017 ISO), you can hear the difference on the audio files below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17hO8vwFlo_YXdRP-S28XLZhI-QnPcFuB

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_QhaaVoCE5y6zmCBWbUhSqOS3_bEJf2d

Bottom line: YOU ARE AWESOME MAN! My tone sounds so much better, truly realistic :D thank you so very much for making and sharing these Kernels, they are awesome!

PS: I couldn't test the performance well, because I am pretty sure I got a problem on my audio interface, it works, but the performance is the same as If I were running AvLinux Live from the USB disk  :depressed: . I have no idea why that is happening, it didn't happen before.

PS2: I couldn't test kernel 4.14.12 because it requires libelf-dev and libelf-devel, I don't have access to the internet at home, so I can only wait until AVlinux 2018 is released and hope that it will ship with those libraries ;)

Thanks a lot, you guys Rock!

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 06:15:18 AM »
I couldn't test the performance well, because I am pretty sure I got a problem on my audio interface, it works, but the performance is the same as If I were running AvLinux Live from the USB disk  :depressed: . I have no idea why that is happening, it didn't happen before.
If the performance is worse on 4.9.76, try adding "nopti" to the grub command line. For a single-user system with no internet access, there's no need for that heavy security layer.
PS2: I couldn't test kernel 4.14.12 because it requires libelf-dev and libelf-devel, I don't have access to the internet at home, so I can only wait until AVlinux 2018 is released and hope that it will ship with those libraries ;)
I didn't realize that libelf-dev would be needed to install the 4.14 kernels.  It's needed for the new default kernel unwinder, it's supposed to make some things a little more efficient.  I'll re-evaluate whether or not we want to enable that option in the kernel for now.  Alternately, if you want, you can download the libelf-dev package here and install it manually:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libelf-dev

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
Hi,

Running behind here, my studio machine is still 32bit, the 4.14.12 seems to be a rocket! I halved the latency on my Presonus 1818VSL just to push it and it's handling it well, previous kernels have not been able to do that, needs further testing.

Have not waded into the 64bit juggernaut yet as I have a parent in hospital and a full work schedule on top, will get to it, but I need to make sure I can fully upgrade VBox hosts and guests to continue working on AVL 2018..

Trulan your thorough work is VERY much appreciated!

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »
Dear Trulan,

Thanks a lot for the link ;), I'll definitely install the library and try out the kernel. The problem I have with performance drop also happens in previous kernels, it started happening last week, before I try the new kernels, that's why I think it's an issue on my audio interface's hardware  :depressed:

Thanks a lot again

Att.: Rodney

Offline Rodney

• AVLinux User
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2018, 10:57:05 PM »
Dear Trulan,

I have just tried the newest 4.14.15 AVL1 RT kernel, and although I think it's great, I prefer 4.9.76 RT for its "musicality" if I can call it that way 😉. Whereas 4.14.15 improved in performance (at least it felt like that to me: less CPU hunger), it dropped in "sound quality". I AM in love With 4.9.76 RT, I honestly think it's the best ever ❤😻😍.

Thanks a bunch again for providing US these amazing kernels.

Cheers,

Att.: Rodney

Offline protozone

• AVLinux User
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 03:30:43 PM »
32-bit MX 17 Linux "Horizon" (of Debian Stretch, i686) works with 4.14.12-rt10avl1 ! 
It's very easy to use MX Linux with and without the AVLINUX kernel. 
The main thing to do is to add the THREADIRQS option to the /etc/default/grub file and then "sudo update-grub". 
Also, the grub customizer is built in, so it's pretty easy that way too! 

Thanks so much for making this stuff available! 

Offline protozone

• AVLinux User
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2018, 08:35:51 PM »
Just today I successfully installed 2 more items and the following are working in my dual boot MX Linux system. 
   one partition is the SWAP, one is 32-bit MX Linux, and the other is 64-bit MX Linux.  I had been using only 32-bit until today. 

I can confirm that an AVLINUX RealTime kernel installs OK in 64-bit current MX Linux snapshot .ISO from yesterday. 
Also a Low-Latency AVLINUX kernel installs OK for that same 64-bit current MX Linux snapshot .ISO from yesterday. 

I don't have any NVIDIA stuff. 
Synaptic had some complaint errors, but they didn't matter because I boot the kernel up using GRUB4DOS from Puppy Linux. 
I then manually edit the /menu.lst text file and the entries look similar to the stuff below.  GRUB4DOS bypasses GRUB(2) yet coexists with it. 
I still do "sudo update-grub2" to be safe, but it often doesn't disturb GRUB4DOS's bootloader way so it's safe both ways.  During 64-bit MX Linux install, I skipped the bootloader part because I already had a booting 32-bit partition. 

I did a manual "sudo update-grub2" instead after editing the /etc/default/grub file and the /etc/fstab.  Then I reboot. 
MX Linux's fstab entry is not really that great as it's default uses "/dev/sda" mountpoint format instead of "uuid=blah-blah-blah" mountpoint format.  So I just edit fstab to be more like how Ubuntu Studio was, with the UUID format and I make sure that the mount points (folders) for each partition is not the same.  And I make the changes manually in each fstab in each partition and in each menu.lst just in case too.  But only one partition has the boot flag set.  But as long as they don't try to both occupy the same mount point, with a correct entry in fstab in both partitions, each can boot yet also have access to the other partition.  So it worked out pretty well

I realise that this stuff isn't always for beginners, though. 

But thanks very much for the kernels. 

I look forward to testing some 64-bit freewares as 32-bit VST's and programs seem to be getting less and less support.  I had chosen 32-bit specifically because WINEhq.org had said that 32-bit WINE is more stable than 64-bit WINE.  But now I need to get into 64-bit stuff without throwing away my precious 32-bit favorite VST(i) modules. 

Although 64-bit MX Linux is more bloaty than 32-bit MX Linux, it does have a nice MacOS icon theme. 

$ "uname -a" reveals...
Linux ultraviolet 4.16.12-rt5-avl1 #12 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Jun 14 04:35:48 EDT 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ "$ lsb_release -a" reveals...
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: MX
Description: MX 17 Horizon
Release: 17
Codename: Horizon

64-bit MX Linux (RealTime AVLINUX mode) ;; installed this today and it works!
   uuid=[censored]
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.16.12-rt5-avl1 root=[censored device path] ro threadirqs transparent_hugepage=never
   initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.16.12-rt5-avl1

title 32-bit MX Linux (RealTime AVLINUX mode) ;; (this was already installed on my 32-bit partition)
   uuid=[censored]
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.12-rt10avl1 root=[censored device path] ro threadirqs transparent_hugepage=never
   initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.14.12-rt10avl1

title 64-bit MX Linux (Low-Latency AVLINUX mode) ;; installed this today and it works!
   uuid=[censored]
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.16.12-lowlatency-avl1 root=[censored device path] ro threadirqs transparent_hugepage=never
   initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.16.12-lowlatency-avl1

title 64-bit MX Linux (Regular) ;; a fresh install of 64-bit MX Linux installed during the past 2 days on a new partition
   uuid=[censored]
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-1-amd64 root=[censored device path] ro threadirqs transparent_hugepage=never
   initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-1-amd64

title 32-bit MX Linux (PAE mode) ;; this was already installed for 32-bit MX Linux
   uuid=[censored]
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-1-686-pae root=[censored device path] ro threadirqs transparent_hugepage=never
   initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-1-686-pae

Offline protozone

• AVLinux User
Kernels seem to work fine for MX Linux 17 with some effort
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2018, 08:29:38 PM »
Success also installing the Low-Latency kernel v16.12 and the RealTime kernel v16.12

(4.16.12-rt5avl1 #22 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Jun 14 07:01:32 EDT 2018 i686 GNU/Linux) and it's related Low-Latency equivalent...

Both of them gave some strange errors in Synaptic, but I exited Synaptic after the attempt and then manually did a "sudo update-grub2" and then they were installed OK without any errors.   Then I was able to edit my /menu.lst (I use GRUB4DOS) and point the boot loader to the correct vmlinuz and initrd files for each entry. 

I'm hoping that 16 has some features that might reduce some CPU load otherwise experienced in 14.  But I have been able to successfully compose music using v14. 

As stated before, my DAW operating system is MX Linux 17 (Horizon), which is a Debian/AntiX variant based upon Debian Stretch.  I had to edit the MX repos a bit, but it's pretty basic to do that.  With the RT kernel, when I increase  the audio driver "aggressiveness" in REAPER, I get noticeable results which is helpful when trying to compose with VST instruments and effects in a multitrack mixing scenario. 

Offline protozone

• AVLinux User
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »
I forgot to add....

I tried MX Linux's "Liquorix" RealTime kernel install also. 
That was difficult to learn about, difficult to read about, difficult to implement in concise steps, and ultimately it didn't work on my system...
even though I correctly followed the instructions and was able to install gcc updates, etc. 

Also, I'm not as comfortable with the Liquorix technique because it requires tapping into Debian "sid" unstable/testing/experimental.

Whereas, I am otherwise fine at Debian "stretch", and maybe occasionally temporarily some backports. 

To be honest, today I reset my system back to the AV Linux kernel 14.x because that's the one I know for sure works on my system. 
I had some difficulty on a website early today using 16.x  ...it probably wasn't the kernel, but I'm not sure yet.  Just to be safe, I went back to what I know.  But I didn't delete the kernels, they are right there as extra options.  That's the beauty of extra kernels. 

Offline sunrat

• AVLinux User
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »
I forgot to add....

I tried MX Linux's "Liquorix" RealTime kernel install also. 
That was difficult to learn about, difficult to read about, difficult to implement in concise steps, and ultimately it didn't work on my system...
even though I correctly followed the instructions and was able to install gcc updates, etc. 

Also, I'm not as comfortable with the Liquorix technique because it requires tapping into Debian "sid" unstable/testing/experimental.
Liquorix doesn't come from sid, it has it's own repository. It should be as simple as add repository to sources, update, install kernel. Worked for me in AVL. It was just something I tried based on past experience and it was fine.

But this is AVL, I'm sure the AVL rt and low-latency kernels are the best and simplest solution.

Offline protozone

• AVLinux User
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2018, 03:58:56 PM »
I distinctly remember that some of the system specifications for installing Liquorix require other than typical Debian 9 "Stretch".  I think it was gcc-7 Gnu Compiler 7 and maybe some other stuff that isn't yet standard (or wasn't in the past).  I had to edit my repos according to the Liquorix forum instructions and it definately involved tapping into sources other than Debian 9 Stretch.  I don't think it was just the Liquorix repo either.  It didn't damage my system, but it wasn't as easy as the AVLINUX approach.  I do remember specifically I had to enable some "experimental" and "testing" stuff. 

Anyways, I did post in error up above:

GRUB4DOS and Grub2 can coexist, but they do overwrite each other under certain circumstances which I don't fully understand. 
But as long as you have one or the other configured correctly, it should be fine.  They both accomplish the same end goal-- a menu to boot items and the actual booting of those items. 

As long as you can find vmlinuz and initrd it's all good. 

Offline korakios

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2018, 08:34:52 AM »
The question is mainly for @trulan or someone with experience
Is the current kernel compatible with the usb audio ‘hack’
nrpacks=1

I recently read that it significantly benefits lowering the latency on usb interfaces (beside setting the periods of buffer to 3 )