Author Topic: New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!  (Read 102642 times)

Offline Zedman

• Linux User
    • Songs, Stories, Tech Notes
Re: New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »
Thanks Trulan ... just needed to verify since linux-image-4.8.6-rt5avl2_4.8.6-rt5avl2-2 apparently did not offer Nvidia/Ati support ... that's why I upgraded to the 4.9 LTS ... I do a lot of audio/visual work and am looking to purchase a graphics card for video transfers, so I needed the info ... linux-image-4.9.33-rt23avl1_4.9.33-rt23avl1-3_amd64 runs smooth as silk on my MX-16 setup!!

Cheers

Offline 33Nicolas

• New AVLinux User, heck new Linux user!
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
Tx Trulan, it sounds simple enough for me.

Just clarify, I have the following:

-Computer-
Processor      : 8x AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
Memory      : 16419MB (3581MB used)
Operating System      : Debian GNU/Linux 9.1
Kernel      : Linux 4.9.33-rt23avl1 (x86_64)

It sounds as if I installed a regular Debian kernel 4.9 LTS I might unlock more features for my graphic card.

The last question I have is where do I get the 4.9 LTS kernel? I don't see it under the Synaptic Package Manager.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
As Above, So Below
So Below, As Above

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
Hi everybody!  There's a new batch of kernels for your testing, usage, and enjoyment.  This time, there are four kernels available:

For 32 bit: (i386)
linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2
linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2

And for 64 bit: (amd64)
linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2
linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2

The 'rt' kernels are updates to the Real Time Linux kernels you are familiar with in AV Linux.  A Real Time kernel often can perform more consistently at low latencies under heavy load.  (ie, fewer xruns while processing live audio.)

The 'lowlatency' kernels do not include the 'Real Time' patch.  Some hardware does not play well with a full real time kernel, especially hardware that requires proprietary drivers (such as many NVidia video cards).  If you would rather have good graphics and no headaches, and don't care about crazy-low latencies, then these kernels are for you.   Many users will not be able to tell a difference between the real world performance of the two kernels.

As always, I appreciate those of you who test and report back!

Offline jiff41

• AVLinux User (Getting there bit by bit!.)
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 01:27:25 AM »
Is there a tutorial/video anywhere for me to try testing, I'd love to have a go if it's not TOO  :rolleyes: complicated  :cheesy:
I started out with nothing & I still have most of it left!. (Seasick Steve)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »
Is there a tutorial/video anywhere for me to try testing, I'd love to have a go if it's not TOO  :rolleyes: complicated  :cheesy:

Hi,

They just install like any other package from Synaptic, just search:

linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2 or linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2 (depending on what you're looking for) in Synaptic and you can install them, this won't remove your existing kernel and on next boot GRUB will automatically select the newest kernel on the system. If everything works you can later decide to uninstall the previous older kernel using Synaptic as well. If the new kernel doesn't work for some reason or you don't like it, simply select the 'Advanced Options' in GRUB with your keyboard arrow keys on your next boot and select to boot the older kernel and then remove the new kernel using Synaptic...

Easy Peasy! :cool:

Now... if you want to install nVidia proprietary drivers on the lowlatency kernel that is a bit more involved and I am going to document it soon...

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:15:43 PM by GMaq »

Offline jiff41

• AVLinux User (Getting there bit by bit!.)
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 02:48:57 AM »
Easy Peasy! :cool:
:whistle: many thanks Glen!, Here goes then!  :wowed:
I started out with nothing & I still have most of it left!. (Seasick Steve)

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »
I know, I just pushed out a set of kernel updates a few days ago.  But there were a few fixes in the recent upstream updates (including an important fix in the alsa-firewire driver) that I wanted to get out there.  So you will find a set of 4.9.47 kernels (rt and lowlatency) in the repository.  So, there they are, and happy testing!

Offline joe k

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 04:23:43 PM »
Ha

I haven't been able to get any kernel after 4.6 rt to load always  gives a udev permission problem.

Kernel boot error:

Scripts/init-top/udev  line 14 Cant create/sys/kernel/uevent_helper: Permission denied

dosent find the drive.

4.8 kernels
4.9 kernels  all

Offline 33Nicolas

• New AVLinux User, heck new Linux user!
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »
I noticed a search for "linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2" and "linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2" yielded nothing for me. When I removed linux, i.e "4.9.40-rt30avl2 or "4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2" they showed up.

Not sure if this is a problem on my side. Sure got a few of those :)
As Above, So Below
So Below, As Above

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »
Kernel boot error:

Scripts/init-top/udev  line 14 Cant create/sys/kernel/uevent_helper: Permission denied
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the report.  That looks like this bug:  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=752742
Are you running a rather old installation of AV Linux?  If so, you may need to upgrade systemd to get past this.  Even debian jessie (old stable) systemd package has been patched for this as far as I can tell.

@GMaq, have you seen any issues like this on your machines?  There's a workaround kernel config option I can enable if I need to.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »
I noticed a search for "linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2" and "linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2" yielded nothing for me. When I removed linux, i.e "4.9.40-rt30avl2 or "4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2" they showed up.

Not sure if this is a problem on my side. Sure got a few of those :)

Trulan just pushed an updated '4.9.47' kernel, it's possible he replaced 4.9.40 so it no longer appears. I've been busy with work and am a little behind testing right now.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »

@GMaq, have you seen any issues like this on your machines?  There's a workaround kernel config option I can enable if I need to.

Hi,

Sorry busy with work and am behind on kernel testing, 4.9.33 works well for me (other than some Virtualbox stuff which we already discussed) so I'm assuming 4.9.47 will if there were no changes, I need to catch up and sync all my builds next weekend.

From Joe's other posts I think he had networking issues with AVL 2017 and is remarkably still using AV Linux 6.0 (which doesn't have systemd at all)

@Joe, AVL 6.0 is discontinued and obsolete, it's cool if it still works for you, but we can't be making kernel adjustments and alteration to accommodate an obsolete version.