Author Topic: New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!  (Read 187384 times)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:43:37 PM »
Hi,

First of all if you are an AV Linux 2016 user, this is already part of AVL so not really big news, get back to your recording  ;)

For users of Debian (perhaps Ubuntu too, feedback needed) the AV Linux kernel repository is now providing 32bit (PAE) and 64bit RT-patched Kernels in a public repo, there is also a Github page with the sources. See links below.

Brief history:

In the early days of AVL I also built the kernels which was a big burden on top of all the custom packaging. An AVL user/saint by the name of Trulan Martin came along and offered to start building kernels and we set up a repository on my hosting for kernels only. Trulan is active on the kernel mailing list and has done an amazing job of building custom kernels for AVL users for years now, since AV Linux 6 was 32bit only we did not make the repo public because of the higher demand for 64bit kernels but now the we have both architectures it is a good time to share Trulan's great work beyond just AVL. In recent years Trulan has had less time for building kernels and has a very busy and active life with his young family and other offline interests so when I decided to continue with AV Linux 2016 I asked Trulan if he would continue with the kernels as a paid position and thankfully he agreed, the reason I bring this up is that when you support AV Linux with donations you are not just putting money in my pocket you are enabling me to maintain important upstream relationships like Kernels and the KXStudio repositories, these are very important attributes that take AV Linux above and beyond just another Linux Desktop system. Properly configured RT kernels are not available at all for Ubuntu users and are sporadically provided within upstream Debian but often not with the optimal configurations applied, Trulan's Kernels are a very important resource for Audio work especially with many USB-2 Audio Interfaces.
*Please Note!*

- We have absolutely zero interest in providing a "kernel-of-the-month" club, these kernels are for providing a stable RT-patched production environment.
- The RT-patch is incompatible and routinely breaks 3rd party proprietary nVidia and AMD Video drivers, these kernels are for use with Xorg video drivers only!
- Trulan's time is limited and the main priorities are stability and timely support of new Pro Audio Linux hardware, Kernel updates will be based on those criteria.
- As of 2016-09, the kernel building base has moved to AV Linux 2016/ Debian Testing.  Kernels are now compiled with gcc-6.  The repository still contains kernels for Debian Jessie, built with gcc-4.9, but these will probably not see any more updates.

Repository Information:

Latest kernel version: 4.9.76-rt61-avl2
AV Linux 2018 release kernel: 4.9.76-rt61-avl2

Source code:
We try to stick as closely as is reasonably possible to vanilla Linux kernel sources from kernel.org.  The only code we add/change is:
1. aufs (Another Union File System) support - used for live booting and remastering:
http://aufs.sourceforge.net/
2. The Real Time Linux patch set:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rt-users/
3. Support for a few additional sound cards (varies by kernel version)

Source code for recent AV Linux kernels can be found here:
https://github.com/musical-chairs/linux/tags

Source code tarballs for kernels that shipped with older AV Linux releases can be found here:
http://www.bandshed.net/kernels/source/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To access the kernel repository (if you're not already set up for it):
1. Import the public key.
Run this as root:
Code: [Select]
wget -O - http://www.bandshed.net/kernels/apt/trulanm@gmail.com.gpg.key | apt-key add -
2. Add the repository to your sources list.
Open Synaptic, go in the menu to Settings/repositories.
Click on the 'Third Party Software' tab, and click 'add'.
Copy this line into the box:
deb http://www.bandshed.net/kernels/apt stretch mainOr, for the 'jessie' kernels:
deb http://www.bandshed.net/kernels/apt jessie mainThen close the settings window and click 'reload' to update Synaptic.

Now, you can click on 'Origin' in the lower left-hand side of Synaptic and select 'testing/main (www.bandshed.net/kernels...).  This will show the latest kernel and headers packages available for installation.

Notes:
- There are no 'metapackages'; new kernels will not be automatically installed.  This is in keeping with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentality of AV Linux. (It's also easier for me...)
- Kernels for debian jessie are compiled with gcc 4.9.  I'll leave this repo up for the time being, but consider it EOL.
- Kernels for debian stretch are compiled with gcc 6.1.  See this post for instructions on using the stretch kernels on AV Linux 2016.
- If you want to try to use these kernels in a distro other than AV Linux, you might be able to get it to work, but you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Thanks and Enjoy!

Glen, Trulan
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:38:03 AM by GMaq »

Offline Snap

Re: New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 02:06:03 AM »
Great, Thank you! That's an awesome "spring is coming" gift.

Offline Snap

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 02:40:14 AM »

- There are no 'metapackages'; new kernels will not be automatically installed.

Totally agree with that.

Offline varpa

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »
I discovered a problem/feature - kernel vmlinuz-4.4.6-rt13-avl1 cannot run wine (perhaps because it is 32bit): 
$ file /usr/bin/wine
/usr/bin/wine: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=3df7affcceabd7d0dde95050adc22952f509230e, stripped

When I switched to vmlinuz-4.1.5-rt5-avl2 wine and wine+carla) worked.    So I guess, vmlinuz-4.4.6-rt13-avl1, lacks the ability to run 32bit programs, not sure if this is an oversight, or intended.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:20:52 PM by varpa »

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 04:48:42 PM »
Hi,

fixed in 4.4.6-rt13-avl2

Offline varpa

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 10:43:51 PM »
Hi GMaq/Trulan,  thanks for the quick fix and up-to-date kernels.

Offline magicalex

• sandysingssongs.com
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 04:19:27 AM »
Hi Glen. I just wanted to say a big thank you to you and Trulan for all the great work you've done and are continuing to do. I just had a fun couple of hours playing with guitarix on an 8 year old laptop someone gave me with the lowest latency I've ever been able to achieve without xruns (128/3) running avlinux from a usb stick!

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:12:22 PM »
Hi Glen. I just wanted to say a big thank you to you and Trulan for all the great work you've done and are continuing to do. I just had a fun couple of hours playing with guitarix on an 8 year old laptop someone gave me with the lowest latency I've ever been able to achieve without xruns (128/3) running avlinux from a usb stick!

Thanks, nice to hear that,

I'm surprised at that latency, unlike previous AVL versions latency takes a bit of a hit with the LiveISO vs. an installed system, must be some good hardware in that laptop!

Offline magicalex

• sandysingssongs.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 02:41:22 PM »
The funny thing is, I don't think so. It's an HP Compaq with a single core Celeron processor. I've just installed Debian Unstable on it with your latest kernel and it works perfectly - virtually no xruns even with the internal sound card. Go figure!

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 06:16:45 AM »
I just pushed a set of updated 4.4-rt kernels - 4.4.15-rt23-avl2.  No changes on my end, just the usual upstream stable kernel patches.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »
THANK YOU!!!

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 11:16:46 PM »
Up for testing is a new set of kernels: 4.6.5-rt10-avl1.  They don't work with VirtualBox guest additions just yet, they're a bit too bleeding edge for that.  They seem to handle audio stuff okay though, at least on my hardware.  Happy testing!

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 04:11:35 PM »
Kernel development moving to 'stretch'
Time, tide, and Linux kernel updates wait for no man... So, I'm officially moving kernel development to Debian Stretch.  This means changing the gcc version used to build the kernels, and also changing the apt sources line used to access the repo.

This requires two changes on the user's end, if you want to use the latest kernels.
(These instructions are for AV Linux 2016-8.  They may or may not apply to other releases.)

1. Update your sources list:
- Open Synaptic, go in the menu to Settings/repositories.
- Click on the 'Other software' tab, and click 'add'.
- Copy this line into the box:
deb http://www.bandshed.net/kernels/apt stretch main- Then close the settings window and click 'reload' to update Synaptic.

2. Set gcc-6 as the default compiler:
- gcc-6 is preinstalled in AV Linux 2016-8.  If you're running an older release you may need to install it, via Synaptic or apt-get.
- Open a root terminal and run:
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-6 60
update-alternatives --config gcc...and select gcc-6 in the menu shown.

Note that you can use 'update-alternatives --config gcc' to change the default gcc versions at any time.  Note also that the first command gives gcc-6 a priority of 60, which is between gcc-5 (it's priority is 100) and gcc-4.9 (which gets 50).  You could set the priorities up however you choose, I had to give it something and 60 seemed somewhat sane to me.

Offline korakios

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »
Hi Trulan ,
Are there any noticeable differences in audio performance?
(Thank you for your hard work )

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 09:33:03 PM »
Hi Trulan ,
Are there any noticeable differences in audio performance?
(Thank you for your hard work )
Not that I know of.  I'm currently not able to do much beyond building and basic sanity testing.  I try to keep my eyes and ears open for anything that might impact us for better or for worse, but I'm not aware of any major changes with these releases.

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 08:30:50 AM »
Up for all users is a new set of kernels, 4.4.30-rt41.  This is of particular interest to those of you who may like using the AV Linux kernels but also want to stay up to date with recent security patches such as the one for the infamous "Dirty COW" vulnerability.

As the 4.6 kernel series is no longer maintained upstream, there won't be any security updates for that.  I do plan on bringing the 4.8-rt kernel to AV Linux in the near future.

Offline joe k

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 12:33:25 PM »
Hello

I would really like a 4.8 kernel with patchs from the 4.9 tree . it has some fixes for the Line 6 pod x3 live
and a few others.

Jk

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 06:05:31 PM »
Hello

I would really like a 4.8 kernel with patchs from the 4.9 tree . it has some fixes for the Line 6 pod x3 live
and a few others.

Jk
I have a 4.8-rt kernel in the works, I'll see what I can do.  If you could link me to the patches that would be great.

Edit: Nevermind, I can get the patches by grepping git log.  There's rather a lot of them.
Edit #2: OK, the line6 patches apply cleanly.  By "A few others", did you mean other fixes for line6, or were there other soundcard fixes that you were interested in?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:16:57 PM by trulan »

Offline joe k

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »
Morning Trulan

The line 6 patches,  also any Firewire patches  would be great

Im also working on getting a usb quirk for the Yamaha THR5.  There should be a Quirk for the THR10, 10x and 10c
in the kernel as of 4014 I believe. 

Thanks Jk

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 03:41:10 PM »
Morning Trulan

The line 6 patches,  also any Firewire patches  would be great

Im also working on getting a usb quirk for the Yamaha THR5.  There should be a Quirk for the THR10, 10x and 10c
in the kernel as of 4014 I believe. 

Thanks Jk
Thanks Joe,

It doesn't look like there are any firewire fixes worth pulling in.  There are a few semantic changes and two models were rolled into one, but none of that should impact anything, at least not in this kernel release.

Here are the Yamaha THR USB IDs that are currently in the kernel source code:
THR10 - 0x0499, 0x1507
THR5A - 0x0499, 0x150a
THR10C - 0x0499, 0x150c

I think you had given me the USB ID for the THR10X once upon a time, and there might also be another variant of the THR5 that you did not have.

Edit:  Here is this one:
THR10X: 0x0499, 0x150b
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:02:47 PM by trulan »

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 05:44:02 PM »
Up for testing is a set of 4.8.6-rt kernels with the line6 patches from 4.9.  Please test this one out thoroughly if you can.  I rebased the config off of debian's RT kernel config, hopefully I didn't miss anything important that we need for low latency audio, etc.  I just felt like I was not able to keep up with trying to sort through all the new configuration options every kernel release, and it will be more sustainable if I can copy Debian's config and make the changes we need to that.

So, please test and let me know if there are problems.  The new kernels (and all future kernels) can be found in the 'Stretch' section of the repo.  (Look a few posts up in this thread for info on setting up apt to access the 'Stretch' AVLinux kernels.)

Offline joe k

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 03:44:10 PM »
Hi Trulan

Do to work load i just install the 8.4.6 rt kernel. i installed on 2 laptop couldn't get it to load on either one   
kernel errors .
I will get you some more info.

I did build a working 4.10.1 kernel yesterday . preemptive  used the Amd Athlon   works very well and from grub boot
to desktop very fast  25 sec  why im not shure   seen stable so far.
running on a acer extensa 5420 ,
Toshiba sat uses a Intel processor working little slower i think .  wish i new more about kernel building .
going to build a kernel for the Toshiba   
Jack stable at 11msec  on the HDA SB
on a Echo Cardbus at 64 frames  I get 2.9msec no dropouts
no problems so far.     

I don't think there's a rt for this kernel if so let me know  .
Thanks
JK

Got to love Linux.   

Offline Zedman

• Linux User
    • Songs, Stories, Tech Notes
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
Thank you for the quick reply ... I feel the same ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! As an aside. in the '70's I worked as a studio musician with members of Spott Farm, Perth County Conspiracy. Richard Knechtel, Mercey Bros. (the old Elmira Studio) ... am still actively performing nationally and internationally ... take care ...

Zedman

Offline joe k

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 09:01:25 PM »
Hi Trulan

I have a question   I built kernel 4.11  loads up and runs ok except  Wine stop working.  cant get playinlinux to work ether?  If I go back to the old
kernel  wine works again. I don’t have a clue how a kernel can effect this but It did.   Any Ideas 
Thank jk

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 11:27:31 PM »
Hi everybody!  I built and uploaded a new set of kernels:
4.9.33-rt23avl1

Everything tests out OK here, but please let me know if there are any issues.  4.9 is an LTS kernel, so further development will be tracking it unless there is a good reason to keep building 4.4 kernels.

Offline joe k

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 10:08:12 AM »
Ha

I cant set synaptic to work . what is the url  to install the testing kernels ?  and is there a way to access then directly? download them?
Teating branch will not show up  in sources list ??

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 05:37:24 AM »
I cant set synaptic to work . what is the url  to install the testing kernels ?  and is there a way to access then directly? download them?
Testing branch will not show up  in sources list ??
It should work if you add the line to your sources, as described in the first part of this post: http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=3719.msg22932#msg22932
You could probably download them directly from here:  http://www.bandshed.net/kernels/apt/pool/main/l/linux-4.9.33-rt23avl1/

Offline 33Nicolas

• New AVLinux User, heck new Linux user!
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »
It's strange, it allows me to go into the 1900 X + territory but the 30 hz rate was so bad I had to go back to 1680 x 1050 with the 60 hz refresh rate.

As Above, So Below
So Below, As Above

Offline Zedman

• Linux User
    • Songs, Stories, Tech Notes
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 12:15:33 AM »
Simple question ... does  4.9.33-rt23avl1 LTS support Nvidia and/or ATI graphics cards?

Offline trulan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 07:20:03 AM »
Simple question ... does  4.9.33-rt23avl1 LTS support Nvidia and/or ATI graphics cards?
Simple question, yes; unfortunately the answer must be a little more complicated.

No special effort was made to support or disable any graphics cards.  If they are supported on a stock debian 4.9-rt series kernel, they will work here.  The open source nouveau and raedon drivers, standard in any Linux kernel, will work on most of these cards.  They may not necessarily include all the features of NVidia's or ATI's proprietary drivers.  Also, some NVidia cards do not play well with the nouveau driver in some applications.  (I'm looking at you, Cinerella).  It is probable that a newish NVidia card can be gotten to work with the proprietary NVidia drivers, though it will likely take a little bit of hacking to get it to install successfully.  The Liquorix kernels are often easier to work with when using the proprietary drivers than are the AV Linux RT kernels.

Is that a clear enough answer?