Author Topic: HowTO: Run 2 M-Audio 1010LT's on AV Linux  (Read 65028 times)

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
HowTO: Run 2 M-Audio 1010LT's on AV Linux
« on: January 13, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »
Hi,

By far one of the most inexpensive and Linux-friendly ways to get 16 Channels of I/O into a Linux Audio Workstation is to use 2 M-Audio 1010LT Audio cards. A big thanks to John Rigg http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html who has made the key '.asoundrc.' configuration file available to help Linux users take advantage of multiple cards.

This guide assumes:

- A fresh AV Linux 4.2 install was used, however this guide should work for previous versions.
- The 1010LT's are being used as the only Audio devices on the system (Disable any onboard Audio chipsets in your BIOS)
- The SPDIF Channels are not mapped giving 16 A-D Converters going in and 16 D-A Converters coming out.
- SPDIF is being used for Word Clock Syncronization (A must for all 16 channels to be in Sync)
- A 44100k Sample Rate is used for the purposes of this Guide, other higher Sample Rates should be supported but are untested.
- The jackd default of 1024fpp is being used, YMMV at lower latencies.

Hardware Setup: (The Easy Part)

As always disconnect the power supply cable to the PC and observe all of the regular anti-static guidelines. Place the 1010LTs side by side starting at the closest PCI slot to the Video Card slot and make sure they are completely aligned and inserted into the PCI slots.

Connect the SPDIF/Word Clock/MIDI breakout cables to both Cards. Using a digital ready RCA Cable of 3ft/1metre OR LESS connect the WHITE RCA SPDIF-Out connector from the 1010LT closest to the Video Card to the RED RCA SPDIF-In Connector on the second 1010LT.

Hardware part is done for now...

Software Setup Part 1: (Don't worry not that bad)

In order to make things a little graphically simpler I've created some launchers and icons, before we get into the rest of the setup grab them here and follow the instructions:

http://bandshed.net/files/M-Audio1010LTfunpack.zip

1. Download and extract the 'M-Audio1010LTfunpack' in your user's home and then open it in the file manager.

2. Hit the F4 Key on your keyboard to open a Terminal in the 'M-Audio1010LTfunpack' folder. Type 'su' into the Terminal and enter your Root password.

3. Copy the 'pcm_multi.png' icon to /usr/share/icons with this command:
Code: [Select]
cp pcm_multi.png /usr/share/icons

4. With the Root terminal still open copy the PCM Multi launcher and the Mudita24 (Card2) launcher to /usr/share/applications with this:
cp envy24_controlcard2.desktop pcm_multi.desktop /usr/share/applications
5. You can close the Root Terminal now. Right-click and copy and paste the 'asoundrc.txt' file to your user's home folder.

6. Move to your user's home, right-click on the 'asoundrc.txt' file and rename the file '.asoundrc' (The DOT(.) is important, don't use the quotes).

7. If the file disappears from view that is normal, to see it check off 'Show Hidden' in the 'View' menu of the file manager to make sure it's there.

Software Setup Part 2: (We're gettin' there...)

To make sure our 1010LT's are correctly setup we need to do some checks from the Terminal and correctly route the Word Clock via SPDIF.

1. First check the presence and IRQ's of the 2 1010LT's. Open a terminal and use this command:
cat /proc/asound/cards
You should see something like this:

This is good news, the system sees 2 distinct cards on separate IRQ's (we don't want anything Audio related sharing IRQ's). If you are seeing any other Audio devices at this point you need to make sure any onboard Audio devices are disabled in your BIOS. If any other devices are present the rest of this guide will NOT work properly!

2. SPDIF Routing: Go to your Menu-->Soundcard Utilities, If you've installed the M-Audio funpack above you should see 2 entries for 'Mudita24 control' - one for Card 1 and a second 'Mudita24 control (Card2)' for the second card. For now Click on 'Mudita24 control' and the Mixer for Card 1 will open....scroll over to the 'Hardware Settings' tab and set Card 1 like this:

3. Now from the Soundcard Utilities menu click on 'Mudita24 control (Card 2)' and set Card 2 like this (notice the different IRQ's listed in the Window names):

Software Test and Verify Running JACK:

1. Let's see if JACK is happy, open a Terminal and enter this. If you want a higher Sample Rate then change the '-r' value to a higher supported number. If you do change the Sample Rate make sure the matching change is also made in the Card 1 Hardware Settings above :
jackd -R -d alsa -r 44100 -C multi_capture -P multi_playback
You should see something like the following:

If you see an error message at the bottom saying 'jackd watchdog: killing jackd' then it is most likely due to Word Clock not being set up properly with your SPDIF routing. Check your SPDIF Cable and connections again and retry. If the terminal shows no errors we can check if our 16 channels of I/O are available to the system.

2. Go to Menu-->JACK Plugins and open linuxDSP's 'JACK Patchbay' if everything is working correctly you should see a beautiful list of 16 Inputs and 16 Outputs available to use in Sequencer or any other JACK app of your choosing like this:

**NOTE**

The M-Audio funpack also has supplied a quick launcher to graphically execute the jackd command above, you can find it in the 'Soundcard Utilities' menu as 'PCM_Multi Start'. This launcher will open a little xterm window to show you what JACK is doing, don't close the xterm unless you want to shut down JACK. To modify the launcher for a different Sample Rate simply edit the 'Exec=' line of the launcher file. To do this go to the 'Accessories' menu and open a Root Terminal and use this command:
gedit /usr/share/applications/pcm_multi.desktop
This will open the gedit text editor with the launcher and you can modify the 'Exec=' line (within the quotations) as wanted and then hit 'Save' in gedit.

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=PCM_Multi Start
GenericName=
Comment=Start JACK with Multiple 1010LTs
Icon=pcm_multi
Exec=xterm -e "jackd -R -d alsa -r 44100 -C multi_capture -P multi_playback"
Terminal=false
Categories=Soundcard
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:55:12 AM by GMaq »

PeteC

Re: HowTO: Run 2 M-Audio 1010LT's on AV Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:38:49 AM »
Hi GMaq,

would this work for 2 disimmilar MAudio cards ?  - I already have a Delta 66 with Omni breakout box,  but am contemplating adding a Delta 101o Lt to my set up

Rgds
PeteC

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:33:16 AM »
Hi,

To be honest I'm not sure. It is a must to have the word clocks linked by SPDIF otherwise the 2 separate cards will drift out of sync. You would also need to edit the .asoundrc so the total number of channels appeared correctly. Since both cards are M-Audio it may be possible.

PeteC

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »
Thx GMaq,
as it turns out I managed to pick up a second Delta 66 Omni off ebay today - for my other DAW - but I might try yoking the 2 Deltas in the new machine and see how it turns out - I'll let you knw in a couple of weeks when its done.

Thanks
Pete

Offline douglane

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »
I am running 5.0.2 and everything seems to be going well -- I run the PCM Multistart and can see the inputs and outputs in the patchbay, no errors, and ardour has no errors.  I just can't seem to get the second card to record.  Inputs 9-16 are not working.  I checked all of the connections and still it isn't working, the IRQs and the card assignments, hardware settings in the Mudita 24 controls for both cards and everything looks good.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Doug

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:56:39 AM »
Hi

Sounds like you've done your homework! I currently have my 1010LT's removed because I use a different interface however if you can bear with me I'll try and pop them back in an a day or so and see if I can help and reproduce your issue.

Offline douglane

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »
Much appreciated.  I will still work on my end, too.

Thanks again.

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 04:31:56 PM »
Hi,

Unfortunately I'm right smack dab in the middle of getting the 5.0.3 ISO update out the door so I probably won't have time to look at the 1010LT's until after the weekend. It's just a bad timing thing but I will have a look as soon as I can, I don't want to leave you hanging...

Offline douglane

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
No problem.  Don't let me distract you -- updating AV is much more important!  Keep up the good work!

Offline troathscream

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
Hi Gmaq,

first tnx for the great AVLINUX distro, it rocks!!!
But a little problem here, i've got 2 hoontech dsp24 Cports in my HP XEON XW8200 workstation,
after a clean install of AVLINUX TUBE, i followed al the steps to get the two cards setup. After the setup PCM multi start fired up just fine,i can get sound output of both cards and switch the master output of ardour between the 2 cards outputs so that seems to be allright! Only i can not get any input signal, in the mudita control of card 1 and 2 there is also no meter movement,and below the meters there is a text (OFF)  i set all sliders to nominal level, but still nothing.  in the terminal with cat /proc/asound/cards, i see both cards as HW0 and HW1, so that seems fine too..... Do i maybe have to change a config file, because maybe they are configured for the M-audio delta 1010...

I hope maybe someone on this forum has a clue how to solve this.

Grtz troathscream

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Hi,

I haven't tested the Hoontechs but the chipset is supposed to be the same so I wouldn't guess the .asoundrc is the issue right off the bat. In the 'Patchbay/Router' tab of Mudita 24 do you have the 'H/W In 1' etc selected for each channel you want input for? Next in the 'Analog Volume' Tab do you have the  appropriate 'ADC 1' etc sliders set for the input you are trying to use?

Offline troathscream

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:22:21 AM »
Hi, Tnx for the quick reply, i'll let you know how it works out as soon as i have time to get to my rehearsal space. I think i missed out on the analog section of Mudita24!!! :blush:

Grtz

Offline troathscream

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »
Hi Gmaq,

i just got to my rehearsal space and noticed that i don't have the analog input section and the dac section in mudita......
Both Mudita card1 and card 2 miss these sections!

Grtz Troathscream

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »
Hi,

Well they do appear here on my 1010LT's so I wonder if that is a Mudita bug with the Hoontech cards or whether the chipset is different with Hoontech. Can you try it with the envy24control gui and see if it is the same?

Offline troathscream

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »
Yep, the same thing...
Strange...

Grtz

Offline troathscream

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 02:02:51 AM »
Hi Gmaq,

A little progress here, i got one of the two cards up and running. I still miss the analog input section and the dac section. I finally saw some meter movement in the monitor input section of card one. I changed some settings and sliders in the gnome alsamixer.
Even the lights on my breakoutbox (adc&dac2000) went on, after changing the dipswitch for the box assignment (i can connect up to four on one card). The second card however still no go, no light on the breakoutbox light up and no meter movement. I tryd the same settings in the gnome alsamixer, but nothing, tryd both boxes on card 1 and that works, so the breakoutbox is not faulty. I can still see both cards, but now i cant start pcmmulti anymore, if i try it from the commandline as written in your manual, i get a alsa not found or loaded error? Gonna try a fresh install with both cards inside the pc, cauz i tryd it now with only one card inserted, after the install i inserted the second card, so maybe that's causing trouble setting up.

Grtz

Offline wayne

• Remastersys and AVLinux User
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »
I didn't see any other thread having to do with my question so I thought I would try here. (I have a Delta 66). I'm new to setting up sound cards in Linux and I'm confused on one issue, I read where it's suggested to disable the motherboard sound card in the bios when using the 66/1010LT and I've done this and the Bios shows it to be disabled. What confuses me is that the MOBO interface shows up in lspci, cat /proc/asound/cards, and QjackCtl as HW:0.The Delta 66 shows up in cat /proc/asound/cards, lspci, QjackCtl, Envy 24 as HW:1 and I get no errors starting QjackCtl. I would have thought that if the MOBO interface is disabled it wouldn't be seen by the OS or the software.
I suppose this isn't a problem if the 66 works ok but I'm just a bit confused as I'm still not too sure what I'm doing yet. Is it normal to show a disabled interface? None of the threads I've read have mentioned this.
Wayne

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
Hi,

As far as disabling the onboard sound in the BIOS unfortunately this seems to be kind of hit and miss without a clear indication of why, for instance my Desktop abides by the BIOS settings and the onboard does not appear but I have seen other reports like yours where they do still appear. This could be caused by the BIOS software itself or the kernel and unfortunately I don't know.

Usually the best practice in AV Linux is to select whichever card you want to use in Qjackctl and start the JACK server, as of AVL 6.0.2 all JACK and ALSA applications will be routed to your selected card so you should be able to web browse, record, listen to various applications trouble free.

Offline wayne

• Remastersys and AVLinux User
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »
Thanks GMaq.

Offline pburyk

• AVLinux / Ardour / Mixbus User
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »
GMag -
I've made great progress with my AV Linux installation since our last exchange (a couple days ago)
and am now trying to resolve a "curiosity" in this area...

My config:
- Dell Dimension 4600 w/ 4 GB RAM
- AV Linux 6.0.2
- (2) M-Audio Delta 101LT

I've followed the instructions for setting up (2) 1010 cards w/ onboard sound chip,
as documented in the "AV Linux 6.0.2 - XFCE4 4.10 (10/2013)" User Manual.
Specifically, on pages 51 & 52, I've installed "asoundrc+onboard.txt" as $HOME/.asoundrc ...
connected the card#1 SPDIF-out to card#2 SPDIF-in ...updated the Mudita24Contril (card2) app ...
and launched the "PCM MultiStart" app.
At this point I can indeed see activity on all card#1 & card#2 inputs via the Envy24 and Envy24 card2 apps
and select from these (16) inputs using Audacity and MixBus.

However...
In MixBus (2.4, purchased) I cannot seem to config the onboard (Inter ICH5) inputs/outputs along with the (2) 1010's.
That is, I'd like to listen to the MixBus Master Outs via the onboard line-out/headphone capability rather than firing up
the rest of the studio (eg., main mixing console, power amp, etc).

I've compared the AV Linux 6.0.2 doc with the information in the previous contributions to this thread and found one
missing detail - that of selecting "S/PDIF-in" in the H[Hardware Settings] tab of the Envy24 (card2) app. I also see that
in need to kill off all Jack-related processes that are running (using: "ps -ef | grep jack" and "kill -9 proc#") before running
the PCM MultiStart app or else it fail to start.

One interesting observation is that - Audacity - does allow me to select inputs from all (3) input sources... so I can record
from either (not both at the same time) of the 1010 cards or onboard. And I can select the onboard as my output.

This being my initial experience with AV Linux & Multiple 1010 sound card setup I'm sure I might have missed something,
and was wondering of you, or any other readers, can set me straight?

Thanks, in advance!!!!!

Patrick

p.s.

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [ICH5           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
                      Intel ICH5 with AD1980 at irq 17
 1 [M1010LT        ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010LT
                      M Audio Delta 1010LT at 0xde80, irq 21
 2 [M1010LT_1      ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010LT
                      M Audio Delta 1010LT at 0xdea0, irq 17
 3 [Loopback       ]: Loopback - Loopback
                      Loopback 1
$

Offline pburyk

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »
More info related to my last post (above)...

I've reviewed documentation regarding the "PCM_Multi Start" app...
That app essentially runs:

jackd -R -d alsa -r 44100 -C multi-capture -P multi-playback

I presume the references to "multi-capture" and "multi-playback" are the same as
defined within my $HOME/.asoundrc file? And if so, then I'm wondering why their definition
blocks include entries for slaves ... hw:1 and hw:2 but don't include hw:0 (the ICH5 device) ??
The only difference I see between the non-onboard and onboard asoundrc files is the assignment
of the two 1010's as hw:0 & hw:1 (for non-onboard) and hw:1 & hw:2 (for onboard).
Shouldn't there be hw:0 (onboard device) entries in asoundrc? Or is that only for multi-input cards like the 1010?

If the answer to the above is "No, the onboard device (eg IHC5) entries are not included in the .asoundrc file",
then I am wondering how to get JACk & ALSA to recognize that I/O capability as well as the (2) 1010 cards?

Any takers?

Patrick

Offline GMaq

• Administrator
  • A/V 'Nixer
    • www.bandshed.net
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 11:18:13 PM »
Hi,

When you are using PCM_Multi the idea is to only use the 2 1010LTs without the onboard with JACK, that is why the onboard card doesn't show up in Mixbus which uses JACK not ALSA, in Audacity you would be seeing the cards with ALSA not JACK and that is why all cards appear as visible, Audacity is a great general Soundfile editor but it uses PortAudio which doesn't work well with JACK so there is no reason to really use PCM_Multi with Audacity because the idea of PCM_Multi is to enable the 2 1010LT's with JACK not ALSA.

The only case where using JACK with multiple sound devices is advised is with cards like the 1010LT where you can have the SPDIF i/o cable properly connect the 2 Audio clocks together to prevent the cards from drifting out of sync with each other, of course technically you can create an asoundrc to make any 2 cards work together but in real world application this is usually problematic and there will always be the potential for sync loss.

So to summarize, when using PCM_Multi just use the 1010LT's without the onboard sound device.

Offline pburyk

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »
Gmag -

Thank you for clearing that up!
I guess the only reason for the "onboard" version of the asoundrc file is to properly ref
the actual hardware placement of the 1010's in systems where one does not want to disable their onboard device;
it is not to imply that the onboard device can be added to the pool of slaves managed by asoundrc.

So... I can live with that and will simply re-designate my dual 1010 outputs so that some take on
the role of "monitors" instead of channel returns and I'm ready to put it all to work!!!

With Very Best Regards!
Patrick